We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
durham
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time in dublin

hi would appreciate some advice, we are arriving in dublin airport this saturday at 9.00 a.m staying at the maldron hotel cardiff lane, flying home Monday morning 6.35 a.m our dilema is do we hire a car, use taxis or use public transport, we are two young at heart 50 year olds with hand luggage... and on a budget look forward to your advice. if you care to advise on vital site seeing in this short visit. cheers

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in dublin

if you just want to see Dublin (and there is enough to do there for a week if you had one) a car is no use to you at all. Use the Hop on hop off buses, they are great, I would get on, go right round once, noting things you are interested in, and next time round get off.

Kilmainham Gaol is a must.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in dublin

You don't need a car and it would be more of a hindrance than a help to you. Dublin city centre is pretty compact and you can get around to a lot of the sights and attractions on foot. Dublin also has an extensive public transport network of bus, train and tram. You can find out more about this and other aspects of visiting Dublin if you go to the Top questions about Dublin section on the Dublin Forum, as well as some maps which will help you to get your bearings.

Your hotel is situated on the edge of the south city centre, about 20 minutes' walk from the front gate of Trinity College/Grafton Street area. There are a number of buses which head down Pearse Street towards Trinity which you can take if you don't want to walk. This link has more details on the bus information.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k306233…

To get from Dublin Airport to your hotel, I'd suggest taking the Airlink 748 to Busaras (bus station). If you only have hand luggage, then the 15 minute or so walk from Busaras along the river to your hotel is pretty easy.

dublinbus.ie/en/…

Tickets are €6 one way but if you buy a one day Rambler ticket you can use the Airlink service and then use the ticket for unlimited bus travel for the rest of the day. Or you could go for the Family Rambler ticket for €10 which will do the same for two adults and up to two children.

www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/

If your return flight is departing at 6.35am, you'll need to be checking in at 4.35am. It's hectic at Dublin Airport at that time so you will need the recommended 2 hours to make sure you don't miss your flight. At that time of the morning, the only airport transfer service operating is the Aircoach and the nearest stop to your hotel would be either Merrion Square or Westmoreland St., both about 20 minutes' walk away. One way tickets are €7 from Westmoreland St. and €8 from Merrion Square.

www.aircoach.ie

Att that time of the morning a taxi would be your only realistic option. Budget for about €30 and ask the hotel to book one for your for 4am.

As far as getting around for the rest of the weekend is concerned, it really depends on what you plan to see and do. The majority of popular sights and attractions are in and around the city centre, so you're likely to walk to them. At present we have no intregrated ticketing that covers all modes of public transport and as you're only likely to be taking the bus from your hotel to the city centre and back (that is, if you don't want to walk)and maybe the odd bus or tram journey, I'd just pay as you go on the Sunday (your Rambler ticket will cover you for buses - the most extensive public transport option - all day Saturday).

Here's a thread on good value deals in Ireland, a lot of which relate to Dublin.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k293756…

durham
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in dublin

thank you all for the quick reply. I think you are right, the car would be of no use, i will take your advice use public transport on saturday and organise a taxi back to the airport for monday morning. Again thanks again for the valuable information

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in dublin

I forgot to mention that you can buy the Rambler tickets on line or in the arrivals hall at Dublin Airport - from a person at the Tourist Office, the CIE desk and the Kiosk shop, all to your left as you exit customs into the arrivals hall,or from a machine by the Airlink 748 bus stop.

This map shows you where to find the Airlink stop at Dublin Airport.

dublinairport.com/at-airport/…bus-area.html

Enjoy Dublin!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in dublin

Tapl's advice is spot on but also note that you dont have to just get the 748 to Busaras. You can also get the 747 which runs every 10mins, the 748 only runs every 30mins.

If you have rambler tickets (or a family pass) and want to minimise walking you could get the 747 to O'Connell Street and change to the 2 or the 3 there which will take you to the junction of Pearse Street and Macken Street. This is very close to your hotel. If it were me I would just walk from the bus station though

durham
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in dublin

thanks for all the advice just got back this morning ended up buying 3 day freedom pass as we also wanted to do the dublin bus hop on hop off , worked well took the airlink bus to tara street and walked along the quay to hotel, they actually let us check in at 10.30 fantsic room for what we paid. walked from the hotel via pearse street and picked up the dublin bus where we did the full tour to get a feel of the city and attractions we wanted to visit. It worked out really good used the buses back to the hotel with short walk ie the 151 to the jurys hotel and the short walk over the bridge. we did have to use a taxi this morning £27 euro from our hotel at the maldron to the airport. A fantastic weekend we had and the weather was amazing.

thank you all for all the tips i printed it all off even used your tips for eating out and enjoyed the fish and chips!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time in dublin

You did get one of the best weekends that we have had for the last few months! Glad you enjoyed :-)

8. Re: first time in dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:18