We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a pillow?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy a pillow?

Ok, REALLY random question. I am the pickiest person when it comes to pillows, but stuffing my pillow into my luggage is a pain, so have decided to just buy one upon arrival... Are there any suggestions for a place to purchase a pillow in Dublin? We're actually staying at the Marine Hotel, so something in Howth, perhaps? Sounds crazy, I know, but believe me, it will make a difference...

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

If you are not too early arriving and are travelling from the airport to your hotel by taxi, ask the driver to go by Airside Retail Park (just north of the airport) and try the Harry Corry Shop.

There is nowhere close to the hotel, in Sutton or Malahide, that I can think of which sells pillows.

If Harry Corry's does not work, there are lots of places in the city centre including Marks and Spencer and Dunnes Stores both of which are in several central locations and which should have a good choice of pillows.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

I can't think of any shops in either Howth or Sutton that would sell pillows. I think the easiest think for you would be to buy one in Dublin city centre.

Good places to look would be Dunnes Stores (a chain of department stores) - there's a branch in Henry Street(one of Dublin's main shopping streets)in the north city centre and you'll also find a branch in the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre at the top of Grafton Street. For high quality options and well known brands, head to Clery's department store in O'Connell Street (opposite the GPO), or Arnott's department store or Debenham's (both also in Henry Street).

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

Have you one of those vacuum bag things (the ones that you can put copious amounts of sweaters etc into - hook up to the vacuum cleaner and it sucks the air out of them and reduces the size to little or nothing). If you have - I'd suggest to take your oldest pillow from home and take it that way. You can get whoever you spend your last night with to 'vacuum' your pillow back down to small size for your homeward bound trip.

However - I always have my 'small' pillow in my carry-on luggage - its more like a small beanbag as I like to snuggle up to the window (or hubbies shoulder) and have a nap without having a creak in my neck when I arrive at my destination.

Thats the downside of travel - no bed (or pillow) is ever the same as your one back home :-)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

are you male or female? you could stuff your pillow up your front and pretend to be pregnant. this would also give you priority in the airline queue...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

Thanks for the suggestions. How much does a pillow cost there (feather)?

LittlePumpkin - I considered a vacuum bag thing, but didn't think the folks at our last night's B&B would appreciate me asking to use their vacuum - plus, the only one I could find that would fit my pillow came in a box of 6 others - I definitely don't need all those! But a good suggestion - will keep it in mind...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

It's difficult to say, as price will vary depending on quality. Dunnes is likely to have the cheapest offerings, then perhaps Marks and Spencers (also in Henry Street as well as Grafton Street) while stores such as Clery's and Arnott's are likely to have a greater range as well as brands. Generally, the cheapest feather and down pillows are generally are generally more expensive than the cheapest synthetic ones. Also feather and down tends to suffer a bit from being carted about - clumping, dampness, etc.

Here's an idea of what's on offer at Clery's.

www.clerysbedstore.ie/section/26/1/pillows

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

Arnotts have a great sale on at the moment with pillows and I suggest that you check it out :-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

Hi YankeeTravelr,

The Marine hotel should be able to supply you with as many pillows as you need but if not then if you get the dart train into Dublin city, getting off at Connolly station, one of the first shops that you will come across that sells pillows will be Michael Guineys on Talbot street. They have several branches along the street, look out for the bright orange name signs over the door. They are also have the name of being very good value for money. If you are shopping then price around town and then you have the option of buying on the way back to the train. Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Supervanman.

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

If you are going to purchase a pillow - can I suggest a latex pillow. These are the most comfortable pillows ever. They cost from €30.00 to €50.00. We bought ours in Debenhams but you will get pillows in any major department store.

10. Re: Where to buy a pillow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 06:36