We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, Maine
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

Hello - we are traveling to Dublin in November and are thinking of doing a day trip on the ferry (on foot, no car) from Dublin to Holyhead. Does anyone have any suggestions for a (very quick!) day trip in the Holyhead area? We should arrive around 10 am and have to be back to check in for the ferry @ 4:45 pm. Thank you! Would most likely be looking at public transportation options in Holyhead, unless it's reasonable to do cabs.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

The day trip is something I have done over the years. Just to be aware Hollyhead is a fairly remote town, with not alot to do. It has a somewhat bleak and industrial feel to it.

It is something of a Dublin tradition to do the day trip, hence our trips over the years. But apart from some shopping/eating and drinking, I'm not sure of much I could recommend in the area.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

Unless you have transport to get beyond the port, I wouldn't bother. While there's some lovely scenery on Anglesey and the Snowdonia National Park is stunning, Holyhead itself is a grim little port town with nothing really going other than the ferries. You'll find that the vast majority of people head there soley for the ferries and tend not to hang around any longer than they have to.

Betws-y-Coed is a beautiful village and a haven for walkers about 40 miles from Holyhead but I'm not sure how you'd get there without a car as I've only ever driven there and am not familiar with public transport in the area.

http://www.betws-y-coed.co.uk/

If you post on the North Wales Forums you'll get information from people with more local knowledge of the area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186435-i835-North…

You should also keep in mind that the Irish Sea can be very rough in winter and the ferry crossings can be very unpleasant as a result. The fast ferries (cats) are frequently cancelled and if that happens passengers are automatically transferred to the cruise ferries on which the crossing takes three and a half hours. I certainly wouldn't do it unless I had to!

Bath, Maine
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

Thanks so much, I'll check out the link for North Wales.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

We'd agree with everything already said - basically Holyhead's a dump of a town but once you get out of it the surroundings areas can be lovely! Trearddur Bay is a lovely little place not too far away where we often walk our dog before/after the ferry trip to Dublin and sometimes have a snack in the bar at the hotel there...

http://www.anglesey.info/trearddurbay.htm

http://www.trearddurbayhotel.co.uk/

K+P

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

Just realised that you'd not be taking a car! We're not sure how to get to Trearddur Bay by public transport but it's only a few miles from the port so it shouldn't be too difficult...

(tapl's point about the winter seas is worth noting too - we often get switched to the slow boat in poor conditions around that time of year)

K+P

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

Take the train from Holyhead to Conwy. Conwy is a beautiful old walled town with a historic castle on the North Wales coast. While there, listen carefully and you'll hear locals speaking Welsh to each other.

You can get a Sail&Rail ticket from Stena for €39 each way - here's the link stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/holyhead/ .

Not every train from Holyhead stops at Conwy, so check the timetable here: arrivatrainswales.co.uk/WorkArea/…

7. Re: Day trip - Dublin to Holyhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2009, 07:17