We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight in dublin-near heuston station

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai, india
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
overnight in dublin-near heuston station

it's me again, tapl / suzy_long :

on 5oct09,we would be reaching dublin at 1320 hrs (after a 17 hrs flight-with one stopover in between-and if the flight is on time), clear immigration & customs and then take the 748 bus to heuston & catch the 1500hrs train to killarney. (no, we cannot alter the itinerary, our tour operator has pre-arranged this & we have already paid them)

now, this being so hectic & tiresome, we are planning to stay overnight at a dublin hotel(at our own expense) close to heuston station. the next day (i.e. 06oct), get a fresh start & catch the 0900hrs train to killarney.

(which is more crowded the 0900hrs or 1100hrs train)

(standard class-should we get reservation,it's tues)

we would be willing to 'splurge' about 70-80 euro for a 3* hotel - preferably near heuston station (breakfast,taxes,vat... all included)

btw: i am always inclined to visit a mercedez showroom & ask to be charged the toyota price - know what i mean...)

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight in dublin-near heuston station

Ashling Hotel is very close to Heuston Station. Also Maldron Hotel Smithfield is close(3stops on tram)

You should reserve the train as it will be cheaper for you and pick the ticket up by swiping your credit card in the green ticket collection machine at the station. If you book online you will be guaranteed a seat so it doesnt matter which train you take. www.irishrail.ie is the website

mumbai, india
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight in dublin-near heuston station

thankx irisheyes...

btw: tapl / suzy are you there ?

--how much for a 100% veg subway sandwich

--how much for a 100% veg pizza at pizzahut/dominos..

--how much for 1 litre of bottled still water

--can i call for an eco-cab from my hotel or do i have to hail one while they are on the road/stands. are they absolutely free

--what is the climate like in oct. i understand its cold.we are from mumbai-india, where the extreme cold would be just 20 deg.(that too only 15 days in a year)

should we carry 3-4 sweaters for each person.

chew on this till i prepare for more queries...

i sincerely hope you do not mind.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight in dublin-near heuston station

This link has all of the information on Ecocabs

http://www.ecocabs.ie/

A litre and a half bottle of still mineral water will vary widely, depending on where you buy it, from around 50c for large supermarkets' own brands, to several euro in a newsagents or convenience store, and even more in a cafe or restaurant.

I never eat in Subway, Pizza Hut or Dominos, so I can't tell you their prices but maybe someone else can.

The weather in Ireland is unpredictable and changeable at any time of the year. The average daytime temperature in October is around 14 degrees celsius and the average nighttime temperature is around 9 degrees celsius. Rain is a likely on most days throughout the month and skies are likely to be overcast.

Layers are the best way to dress for the Irish climate - t-shirts/shirts/fleeces/woollens, a warm waterproof and windproof jacket or coat, waterproof shoes, maybe a scarf, hat and gloves if you are likely to feel cold in these temperatures.

Temperatures can fluctuate from day to day, and even within a day, so layers are useful. Also, public and private buildings, as well as public and private transport (buses, trains, taxis, cars, trams, etc) in Ireland are heated throughout the winter and again layers are a good option if you start to feel too warm when indoors.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
91 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight in dublin-near heuston station

The Temple Bar area is nice and there are some find hotels, with lots of restaurants closeby :

http://templebarhotelsdublin.ebookireland.com

The Aisling Hotel is also very nice.

The Clarence Hotel (owner by U2) is in the Temple Bar area also.

Dublin
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight in dublin-near heuston station

Domino’s have 2 Veg pizza options. The Margharita ranges from €5 for a 7 inch to €15 for a 13.5 inch. The Vegetarian Supreme ranges from €7 for a 7 inch to €20 for a 13.5 inch.

I think the Ashling is probably the most convenient hotel to Heuston Station. It was only very recently refurbished and is looking very well imo.

6. Re: overnight in dublin-near heuston station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 06:18