We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

I don't really want to rent a car; flying into Shannon and departing from Dublin.

Also, how far is it from Shannon to Dublin?

Thanks

Tom

cork
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Depending on the time of day, driving from Shannon to Dublin would take around about three and a half hours.

Aer Lingus fly from Shannon to Dublin twice a day.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Due to an issue with our plane, we landed at Shannon and had to get on a bus to Dublin - ICK! It took a very long time (or at least it felt like that after a 6+ hour flight). I think it was about 3-4 hours (felt closer to 10!). I would have much prefered to have been taken to Limerick train station via bus and then taken the train to Dublin! That may be an option, locals what do you think?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Alot better Akandal:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202386324-343ls.pdf

irishrail.ie/your_journey/…2008.pdf

irishrail.ie/your_journey/…2008.pdf

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Thank you all for your input/advice

Tom

Alabama_United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Depends on your budget and what kind of time you have. We took the train from Dublin to Galway and were very disappointed (the AC was out, the train was slow and expensive) since we thought we'd be seeing much of the Irish countryside. Turns out all we really saw were hedgerows growing along the rail line. We took the bus from Galway to Limerick ~1 hour and loved it. Seeing all the villages along the route and the coast was wonderful. When we got to Limerick we enquired about transport to Dublin and discovered that the train would cost 40 EURO vs. 10 EURO for the bus. We also found out that the train takes 2.5 hours and the bus 3.5 hours. We weren't in any hurry so we decided on the bus and we're glad we did as we got to see some very lovely villages that were full of history.... we also saved a combined 60 EUROS or about $100 by taking the bus. If you're in a hurry take the train, but I suggest you take your time (it's really the only way to see Ireland) use the bus system.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Thanks for the suggestions Classic.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

If you book online at www.irishrail.ie the train from Limerick to Dublin is 27euro as opposed to 40euro if you just show up at the station

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

anyone who lives in sin city should not be afraid to rent a car in ireland...and you can see so much more if you do.....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

Oma14...LOL But..Driving on the left side of the road I have never tried in Vegas!!!:):)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Shannon Airport to Dublin?

oh thomas my boy, you can do it...i promise...

i am 62 years old and just got back from ireland after 15 days of driving myself all over that grand beauty of an island....if i can do it, you certainly can, and i would be horrified to drive in lv....was just there year before last and rode with a friend and almost had a heart attack...it was the first time i had been back in about 35 years and i couldn't believe my eyes....wasn't the lovely lit up wonder it used to be...was a big crowded terror of a city now....hehehe....