We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

salisbury, england
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

Family going to Dublin in a few weeks and looking for a reasonably priced hotel; both these Comfort Inns have vacancies and good reviews on TA.

I'd welcome any feedback on these as I've noticed a few topics on the forum saying that certain areas out of the main tourist parts could be a bit dodgy!

Bewleys in Ballsbridge looks good but is around £30 more per night - is it worth the extra? Thanks in advance.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

The Comfort Inn at Smithfield and at Granby Row are both good options and would be much more central for you than Bewleys in Ballsbridge which although very nice is a couple of miles from the city centre. I think Smithfield is a nicer and more convenient location for accessing a lot of the popular sights and attractions than Granby Row and it is also on the LUAS (tram line). It's very close to the Jameson Distillery, the National Museum at Collins Barracks and the Four Courts, and it's an easy walk from there to Temple Bar and the Guinness Storehouse. Smithfield also has the Cobblestone Pub which is a great venue for non-touristy traditional music sessions. I wouldn't worry about safety in either place. I work a hundred metres or so from the Granby Row hotel and have friends in Smithfield where I often stay. While the area around Granby Row is a bit run down, I've never had any problems. Smithfield has been redeveloped over the past few years and it's now an up and coming, quite trendy address and is home to lots of spanking new, high end apartments and popular hotels. Enjoy Dublin.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

Hi

Like any city there are good and bad areas.

Both these areas have had a revamp in the last few years and parts of Smithfield especially are looking really good.

Of the two - Granby is closer to the centre of town and O' Connell Street, but i wouldn't be walking down there at night on your own.

Ballsbridge is a nicer area but it is further away again from town.

Stick to the general safety rules that you would use in any city and buses and taxi's are always available and would cover all three area's well, depending on where you are in town.

For a city centre hotel depending on your budget of course, i would recommend the Trinity Capital Hotel, this is right in the centre, no need for buses or taxi's and right opposite Trinity College....and there is a Garda Station a few doors up!

have a good trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

Hi

Both these areas have had a revamp in the last few years and parts of Smithfield especially are looking really good.

Of the two - Granby is closer to the centre of town and O' Connell Street, but i wouldn't be walking down there at night on your own.

Stick to the general safety rules that you would use in any city and buses and taxi's are always available and would cover all three area's well, depending on where you are in town.

For a city centre hotel depending on your budget of course, i would recommend the Trinity Capital Hotel, this is right in the centre, no need for buses or taxi's and right opposite Trinity College....and there is a Garda Station a few doors up!

have a good trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

Hi

have a good trip.

salisbury, england
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

Thanks for replies - think we'll book in Smithfield!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
6. Re: COMFORT INN : Smithfield or Granby Row

Just wanted to chime in and recommend Smithfield. I lived there for a couple of years (right next door to the Comfort Inn), and also stayed at the Comfort Inn when I was moving. Great hotel.

I found the area to be safe, convenient and would walk to and from work in the city with no problems.

Have a wonderful time!