We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Ireland

3 posts
2 reviews
Touring Ireland

My wife and I are thinking of taking a tour mid to late May, and we plan to figure out most of the tour buying tickets to the hotels and plane. We don't want to drive while there so was wondering if there are buss\shuttles\or other paid touring services easily accessible in Dublin that are good to work with? Packages often include the hotels in the package so I was trying to stay away from those, but might have to find one.

9 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,995 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Touring Ireland

If you want to tour Ireland, don't stay in Dublin. Only stay in Dublin if you want to see Dublin and the surrounding area.

Killarney is lovely and has a good range of day tours and shuttle busses - hop on hop off busses.

www.killarneytour.com

www.killarneyshuttlebus.com

www.derostours.com

www.oconnorsautotours.ie

www.gapofdunloetours.com

3 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Touring Ireland

Thank you!!! I plan to look at each of these as you may have just changed our entire plan for our Ireland trip. Much appreciated!

I have more than 50% of my DNA and my wife is 48% so we are excited about this trip and want it to be the best one we ever go on. I just turned 40 and she is turning 40 soon so it will be a celebration for us both.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,423 posts
660 reviews
3. Re: Touring Ireland

When you say a tour how many days will this tour be? Is it visiting 3 cities or what would it include?

4. Re: Touring Ireland

We plan to stay around 7 days ( +/- 1 day). We don't need the Cadillac tour but also would like to sample some of Ireland if that's a castle ruin or a quaint city we don't know, but we prefer landscape over pubs as I dont/cant drink. Though going to a pub to hear music isn't out of the question, we are learning all this now so we are very much open.

Edited: 24 October 2018, 09:50
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Touring Ireland

Everybody drinks,

Orange juice, tea, coffee, beer. we all need liquids.

Just dont sit in a pub all night without buying a drink of some description.

6. Re: Touring Ireland

Thanks unfortunately I can't have caffeine either, as long as it isn't considered an insult to just buy juice at a famous pub I would happily do so lol... I was reading that Dublin is the easiest place to fly into, but also heaviest on pubs is the reason. By the way this nanomatrix, but on my phone I seem to have a random name linked here.

Edited: 24 October 2018, 10:07
County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
1 review
7. Re: Touring Ireland

Yes you seem to have picked up another name - maybe you joined twice and forgot? (Kind of thing I would do!).

Most people who have experience of the situation say that Shannon is easier to fly in and out of, but no problems with Dublin either, not sure what the pubs have to do with it.

I do get the feeling you have been reading some stereotype stuff about Ireland, posssibly don't believe too much of what you read about pubs :D You can get a meal in a pub, you can get a drink of juice or a soft drink (soda) or bottled water - the only thing you can't do is be a stereotype tourist and sit in a pub with a shared or no drink!

You will have no problem finding day tours in the summer, and there is public transport and taxis, you will get around. Enjoy your planning.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
228 reviews
8. Re: Touring Ireland

Dublin had so much more to offer than pubs!

Dublin Castle

Kilmainham Gaol

Trinity College

Book of Kells

National Museums www.museum.ie

Christchurch Cathedral

St Patrick's Cathedral

Dublinia

Viking Splash Tour

The Little Museum of Dublin

Epic

GPO

Glasnevin Cemetery Tour

Chester Beatty Library

Croke Park Museum Tour

Dublin Zoo

Guinness Storehouse

Distillery tours

Farmleigh House

Phoenix Park

St Stephens Green

And I could go on....

Easy self guided day trip via the local DART train to

Malahaide to see Malahide Castle,

Howth walk along The Cliffs,

Dun Laoghaire

Dalkey

You could also take the intercity train to Belfast or Kilkenny for a daytrip

Lots of organised tours

Newgrange - older than the pyramids

Hill of Tara

Trim Castle

Wild Wicklow

Glendalough

Powerscourt

It's a good idea to spend a few days on the west coast as it's too far for an enjoyable day trip and there is so so much to enjoy.

3 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Touring Ireland

Thank you, everyone, so much to look through and I appreciate all the Dublin information.

Reply to: Touring Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted