We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

Hello!

My family and I will be in Dublin the coming June, and my husband has an interest in seeing Newgrange. We will not have a car and would prefer not to take an entire day tour. We're travelling with my father and our 12 year old daughter, and would prefer not to lose the whole day with them.

What is the best way to get to the site without having to take a full day tour? I did look up answers to this question, but saw nothing newer than 2009. Any advice is appreciated! We are very much willing to take public transport, but the answers I found stated there was no such transport directly to or near the site.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

Additionally, if we do not take a tour, will we have the same access to the site as those who have paid for a tour? And how busy is the site, generally?

Thanks again!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,061 posts
389 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

Having been there and knowing the lay of the land, I think the best (fastest) way to go there is by your own transport or by an organised tour.

However, you prefer not to do either of those.

Bru na Boinne (Official name of the visitor centre for Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth) is in the middle of nowhere (kind of!) - and I cannot imagine a public bus going there from Dublin. But google that just in case or there might be or someone else on this forum who will know about public transport to BnB.

Looking at the map, I see that the town of Drogheda is only 5 miles from Bru na Boinne and there is a very regular train service from Dublin to Drogheda. Journey time 35 mins. Once at Drogheda a taxi will take you to BnB. Check that out and see how it suits you. You can see the train schedule at www.irishrail.ie and the starting station is called 'Dublin Connolly' The Drogheda Station is called 'Drogheda MacBride'

I looked at Bus options and while there is a bus service from Dublin Busaras to Drogheda, I could not see any stops near BnB

Regards your second question:

"if we do not take a tour, will we have the same access to the site as those who have paid for a tour? And how busy is the site, generally"

If you don't pay for a tour at BnB then you just get to stay in the visitor centre which is interesting and has a very good self service café, toilets, gift shop and a good exhibition, but nothing as good as seeing the real thing.. Access to Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth are by bus from the visitor centre and only those with tickets can do that. In June, the site will be very busy and if you don't pre book, you more than likely wont get to visit any of the sites unless you arrive before the visitor centre opens at 09:00. Also, be aware that you do not get to go on a tour as soon as you pay for your ticket. There are specific times that the buses leave for the sites. In my case, I believe I had to wait one hour before the bus left BnB for Newgrange.

Here are some practical details on BnB if you have not already seen it

heritageireland.ie/en/…

And here is my review

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g…

Edited: 22 October 2018, 08:34
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
228 reviews
3. Re: Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

Bryno has given you good information but realistically you would be better off just taking a tour from Dublin - Mary Gibbons Newgrange Tour is very popular. I just checked their schedule and pick up from O'Connell St is 10.10 with return at 1630 - I don't think you'd manage to do the trip via public transport and taxi any quicker than that being honest.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

Thanks to you both for the information! A tour it is. I can completely understand that we'll not be saving any time doing it on our own, and he certainly doesn't want to stay in the visitor center. I appreciate the advice!

Ireland
Level Contributor
691 posts
5. Re: Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

There is a daily Bus Éireann service from Drogheda Bus Station to Brú na Bóinne. However it only operates twice a day:

Timetable here:

buseireann.ie/timetables/163-1517477025.pdf

Note that the bus service from Dublin to Drogheda departs Talbot Street and Custom House Quay and doesn't start from Busáras (except in the late-evening)

Hope this helps

Edited: 22 October 2018, 23:33
Melrose, Florida
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Getting to Newgrange from Dublin

Bryno’s Is very accurate. I was there yesterday and the entire complex is incredible. It is also very pastoral. Granted it is off season. There were 5 on my tour from visitor center. It is definitely out of the way but so worth it

Reply to: Getting to Newgrange from Dublin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted