We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
130 posts
9 reviews
Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

My husband fractured his knee two weeks & two days before our 23 day trip & he had to be non-weight bearing on his leg for 4-6 weeks.

We flew from Nashville to Dublin for 2 nights, took the train to Belfast for 2 nights, flew to Edinburgh for 3 nights, & flew to Copenhagen for 2 nights before a 14 day transatlantic cruise back to NY with stops in Gothenburg, London, Cork & Ponta Delgado.

We had trip insurance & could have cancelled our trip but this was my husband's bucket list trip & we had been planning it for over a year so I purchased a lightweight wheelchair & we decided to make the best of it. Sooo thankful we did! We had near perfect weather & our trip was amazing!

After my husband's injury we upgraded to first class on our flight from Nashville to Dublin with West jet & our flights were amazing. 36' inches of leg room, no luggage fees & free food AND drinks.

We left Nashville at 11:40AM September 22nd & arrived in Dublin at 7:10AM September 23rd.

We had already purchased the 3 day Leap Visitor card so we decided to brave the bus to our hotel.

I am sure we were a sight! My husband is a tall guy & outweighs me by a 100 pounds. I was pushing his wheelchair & he was pulling two 50 pound suitcases with a carryon in his lap & we hung a backpack & his crutches from the back of the wheelchair.

We found the bus & the bus driver took pity on us & got off & helped us get everything loaded. He was wonderful! He even googled our hotel & told us the best way to get there after we got off the bus. We got off the bus about 3 blocks from our hotel which normally would not have been a problem for us. We looked around & could not find a taxi so I started pushing 'all 350 pounds' to our hotel. A man showed up out of nowhere & took over pulling the suitcases. He said he didn't care where we were going he was going to help. Sooooo many nice people in this world & we encountered more than our fair share on our trip.

With our new friend's help we arrived at our hotel, the Drury Court Hotel. It is in the old part of Dublin & the cobblestone streets outside the hotel were broken up. I was trying to 'pop' my husband over the curb by the hotel & both wheels went sideways when they caught in the cracks. Another new friend, thankfully a really big guy, practically picked the wheelchair up with my husband in it, got him over the busted up curb & pushed him in to the hotel. So we started our journey with two new friends (plus the bus driver) & an easy entrance in to our hotel..

The Drury Court is an amazing hotel & the staff was extremely friendly & helpful. It is also one of the cleanest hotels we have ever stayed in & the location is PERFECT especially if you can walk.

We went across the street to the Metro Café & had a good breakfast & when we got back to the hotel our room was ready. We (I) took our luggage to our room & we took a taxi to Kilmainham Gaol where we had reservations at 12:45PM. I have to say this was one of the few disappointments we had during our trip because the tour is not wheelchair accessible which we knew but the guide said the stairs are not in great shape & would be very hard for my husband to climb on crutches. He said we could visit the museum & our guide could pick us up there halfway through the tour. The museum was very nice but we missed out on so much of the tour that I don't think we got the full impact of the Gaol & all that happened there. Also our female guide had a very high pitched voice & she talked very fast & was a little hard to follow.

We were a little discouraged after the Gaol Tour (plus we had been awake for way to many hours) but we took a taxi to Brazen Head (Dublin's oldest Irish pub) & my husband literally got tears in his eyes when the band played a song, maybe Old Ireland? He said the song made him think of his father. The band was great & the lead singer was so animated you could tell he loved what he was doing. We definitely fell in love with Dublin there!

We left Brazen Head when the band went on break & took a taxi to the Hairy Lemon across the street from our hotel. We enjoyed a great dinner & live music & made more friends.

The next morning we walked around the corner from our hotel & ate at Sasha Petite. It was amazing & the people running it were so down to earth & likable! I would highly recommend it! I did confuse the girl behind the counter when I asked for jelly instead of jam. Dang Americans!

We took a taxi to the train station & got off the train at Dun Laoghaire. I was glad I ate my Wheeties that morning because it was a wee bit hilly but we made it to the main street & had lunch with a beautiful young girl from the area who had just started a job as a pharmacist. She had such a pleasant personality & we made another new friend!

We got back on the train & went to Killiney but we did not explore there. We caught the next train & headed in the opposite direction to Malahide where we enjoyed a long, wonderful coastal walk that was all downhill. A little more challenging on the way back but it was a gorgeous day & we really enjoyed Malahide & I was building up muscles daily!

We had reservations for Dublin's Temple Bar Pub Crawl that night so we headed back to our hotel. I read on their website the pub crawl was not wheelchair accessible so we left the wheelchair at our hotel & decided we would do as much of the pub crawl as we could with my husband on crutches. We took a taxi to the first stop, Bad Bob's, where we met our guide & 10 other people (a group of six who already knew each other & 4 solos) who did the crawl with us. The pubs were not really wheelchair accessible but I wish we had brought the wheelchair to get between the pubs. They were much further apart than we were led to believe. My husband walked to the next pub but we took a Pedicab to the third pub & met the group there.

We had really been looking forward to the pub crawl but I could not recommend it. Our leader was a wonderful young girl, I don't remember what country she was from (nowhere near Ireland) but it would have been nice to have an Irish guide. She had the most pleasant personality but she did not have the group interact at all & we could have easily gone from pub to pub by ourselves. We did make friends with the solos in the group & we had a lot of fun but that was through no help from our guide. We dropped out of the crawl after the 3rd pub since it was hard to keep up with my husband on crutches & we didn't want to slow the group down. Plus our guide said the last stop was a place to dance & obviously we couldn't dance.

We went back to the Hairy Lemon since it was across the street from our hotel & had dinner & listened to live music again. Another wonderful night in Dublin!

The next morning we checked out of our hotel & decided to change our plans for the day. We went to the Irish Immigration Museum. What a great choice! Since the Museum was near the train station we took our luggage with us & they stored it for us. The Museum is amazing & very interactive. There were 20 different stations where you get your 'passport' stamped. The staff was so friendly & helpful. We had to catch the train to Belfast at 3:20PM but we could have easily spent more time there.

We really enjoyed our time in Dublin & Dublin was just the start of an amazing adventure!

11 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
228 reviews
1. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Great trip report! The kindness of strangers.

Hope the patient has made a full recovery.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
278 reviews
2. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Thanks for reporting back to us, we had wondered how you got on! You must have built up great muscles pushing your husband and all that luggage!

Glad you had a good experience of the friendly Irish. And those organised pub crawls area a waste of time, hope you didn’t pay for it. Sounds like you were more than capable of finding your way about and meeting nice people

In regards to your comments through on Kilmainham Gaol…. It is a wheelchair accessible venue. The only stairs I seem to recall that would be difficult are the ones up to the cells, but you would have been able to see the cells on the ground floor, so I don’t think you missed out on much. Hopefully you were able to get out to the courtyard

Best of luck with the rest of your trip and hope the patient is recovering !

County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
1 review
3. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

As they say - 'fair play to you' glad you enjoyed it. Great report. Kind of a hilarious notion, pub crawl on crutches :D

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
228 reviews
4. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

'. Kind of a hilarious notion, pub crawl on crutches :D'

Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Legless' 😂

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Glad that you enjoyed your trip. I can imagine that you would have had a very different trip if you had cancelled and gone when your husband was more mobile.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,608 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

oh my goodness....you are a hero to travelers...it's amazing what determination can do.....thanks so much for sharing your Dublin visit with us....

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
130 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Everyone told us we should cancel our trip after my husband's injury but none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow & everyday is an adventure for J.R. & I. Never a dull moment for sure! lol

We laughed our way through the very few trials we faced on our 23 day trip & J.R. told me he only put the brakes on the wheelchair a few times when I was grunting as I pushed him up cobblestone hills AND I must still really like him because we celebrated our 34th anniversary on this trip!

We are sooooo thankful we did not cancel our trip! We met so many wonderful people & saw parts of the world we have never seen. And to top it all off we were blessed with near perfect weather. We only saw a few very small rain showers during our 23 day trip!

We did pay for the pub crawl. We did a pub crawl in California that was so much fun because we had a great guide/leader that had everyone interact. The girl leading the pub crawl in Dublin was super sweet but did not have us interact at all. Of course J.R. & I made friends anyway!

We missed about 20/25 minutes of the Gaol tour because the tour started by going upstairs so by meeting the group at the museum I am not sure we were as totally vested as people who did the whole tour. I need to read up on it more but how horrific for the life's that were detained/taken because they were starving or other petty crimes. I know I would do whatever it took to feed my family.

If you are not from Dublin & reading this trip report I would highly recommend the Drury Court Hotel. Brazen Head Bar/Pub, Harry Lemon, Sasha Petite, & the Irish Immigration Museum. I am sure there are a lot more wonderful places but with our limited time/disabilities these are the places that stood out for us besides the wonderful Irish friends we met!

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Great to get this perspective on Ireland for the less able . So glad you got here and got some people to help you both. I, too, am smiling at the idea of the pub crawl on crutches .Brings a new meaning to being “ legless!”

Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Thank you for your post. I will be visiting Dublin soon and will be in a walking boot. I can walk but I get tired after awhile and I think I will be relying on taxis and maybe Uber to get around. Did you find taxis hard to come by? Was it super expensive?

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
130 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report

Taxis were readily available & relatively inexpensive. We usually walk everywhere but relied on taxis a LOT!

Reply to: Dublin on crutches/wheelchair trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted