We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

Freeland, Michigan...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

My daughter (21) and I are traveling to Ireland for the first time in May of 2019. I am strongly considering renting from Dooley/Enterprise on Kylemore Road when we end our 3 day Dublin stay and head southwest. Specifics/questions are:

Rental pickup: May 14th around 9 or 10 a.m.

Would Enterprise pick us up? (Likely from Trinity City Hotel)

If not, what's the best way to get to the Kylemore Road location?

Our next 3 day base destination after leaving Dublin is the Cork area.

Rental dropoff: We fly out May 25th at 11 a.m. I'd like to spend the night at the airport hotel for simplicity sake but that's not set in stone yet.

Looks like it's 100 euros +/- extra to do an airport dropoff rather than

return it to Kylemore - worth it?

We'll be traveling from the Doolin or Galway area before coming

back to Dublin for our flight home

Vehicle Choice: I'm looking at a Large Compact (Opel Astra or similar) right now

Too small? Too large? Just right?

GPS and Mobile Hot Spot - I don't see them on the rental site for

this location but I'm guessing they're available on a first-come

first-serve basis?

Would you recommend the GPS or are we better off with a map?

Thank you in advance for any input!

22 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,898 posts
228 reviews
1. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

As it's a Tuesday I'd leave collecting the car until 10 so that you won't have to deal with rush hour traffic.

You'd need to ask Enterprise if they provide that service and how much it costs - but then you would be setting off from the middle of Dublin City - are you comfortable doing that sort of driving?

It would be easiest to Get a taxi to Kylemore Road with your luggage etc.

In terms of returning the car it would cost you a max of around €40 to go to the airport from Kylemore Road in a taxi - so financially it would make sense to do that - however, you'll need to decide if it's worth it time wise.

Hope that helps!

Freeland, Michigan...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

That helps a lot dubfam - thank you so much! And yes, you're right about the departure and not wanting to drive in the city for my first time - it was why I was leaning towards that location to begin with after seeing another post about that very thing. Sorry about that - guess I have that "we'll pick you up" Enterprise advertising stuck in my brain. LOL

Appreciate the input on the taxi costs. Sounds like a no-brainer to use one both to and from the Kylemore road location. And I'll also enjoy a little extra time in the morning before we leave so as to avoid rush hour.

Do you think the car size is okay for the two of us?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,898 posts
228 reviews
3. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

I'd say it will be just right - assuming you won't have tonnes of luggage;-) An Astra is a good solid car so you'll be comfortable driving around in it.

Re the gps or map question- I'd say get both! My dh is always too proud to get a gps when we go away and it's left us in quite stressful situations at times... One time in the US our Kids noticed a sign on the roadside for $99 divorces and suggested it might be an idea for us lol.

We were lucky enough to get a car with an inbuilt gps system last time and for me and my sanity there's no going back 😉

How early is your flight home? The airport is not all that far from the city centre so don't discount having a nice last night in Dublin.

It sounds like you have a very special trip planned with your daughter.

Freeland, Michigan...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

Thank you dubfam! :) Appreciate the confirmation on the car selection. We'll hopefully be traveling light. Just need to convince my daughter of that - she's a 3 outfit a day type packer.

I am a little stressed that my husband won't be joining us as he would normally be the driver. And in that case we would likely be like you and your husband!! On this trip I'll have nobody to boss around and blame but myself! LOL

Thank you for the comments re: the GPS and hotspot - I'm hoping to get both extra units. They aren't listed as options as I walk through the online booking process but I'm wondering if they just have a limited supply so it's first come first serve on those? The airport location does list the GPS as an add-on option but they likely have more there given their traffic.

Our flight home leaves at 11 a.m. We do have an extra night at the tail end of our trip - as I booked the tickets it was several hundred less to depart Saturday rather than Friday - so we got a bonus day. in light of that we may end up doing one final hurrah in Dublin before we leave. That would likely be more exciting than an airport hotel. :o)

Still need to wrap up our itinerary though. So many decisions.... :o(

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,232 posts
5. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

Beware Enterprise charges 150 euro if you plan on crossing into Northern Ireland. Hertz also does not typically charge a one way fee between city and airport, but you still have to look at the overall price. I have not seen any good deals released for 2019 yet. Using any airline CDP code with Hertz can save you around 20% off the base rate. If you are a Costco member you can get a free additional driver with Enterprise, Alamo or Avis. You cant book an automatic through the Costco website, but can copy the corporate and coupon codes over to the agency site and get the same terms. Many tricks for saving money, but you need to do some searching and mock bookings to find the best deal.

Freeland, Michigan...
Level Contributor
28 posts
6. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

Thanks tev9999 - good to know about the Northern Ireland crossing fee! The pricing right now looks pretty similar between Enterprise and Hertz but I'll definitely keep watching it as the date gets closer. The thing I was liking about the western Dublin location I mentioned was not having to drive in the heart of the city immediately after I got the car. Wishing someone had a practice spot for those of who have never driven on the left side of the road before! I'd be spending a couple hours there for sure. LOL

I don't believe my daughter is old enough to be an eligible driver (she'll just be turning 22 this November) so an additional driver freebie won't be of any use for us. And it's been almost 40 years since I drove a stick so an automatic will definitely be a necessity. :o)

I'll keep doing those mock bookings! Thanks again!!!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,232 posts
7. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

22 could be an authorized driver at some but will get hit whit a hefty under 25 fee - probably not worth it. Most of the agencies have city locations that are on the outskirts. I personally find it easier to rent in the city and drive out to the M-50 slowly, following traffic, to get your feet wet. Most here will disagree with me and say go back to the airport.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
636 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

We found my husband's phone worked best as our GPS. Nevertheless it was good to have a GPS from the rental company as a backup (originally we had planned to use the phone as the backup). Do not rely on maps -- the roundabouts especially can be confusing and you'll need some extra focus on driving on the left side. Also there may not be any place to pull over and consult or study a map.

Freeland, Michigan...
Level Contributor
28 posts
9. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

Thank you tev9999 and NYYVA - appreciate the input and advice very much!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question

I am actually in Ireland right now and rented a car on Tuesday. In my opinion if you can, replan your trip to avoid renting a car! What I thought would be $450 (the initial price I paid) has turned upwards of $800!!

I thought this would not be an issue but boy have I been wrong.

1. There seem to be no real rules of the road. People go 80+ km/hr on narrow, windy roads that should be 25 km/hr. They park ANYWHERE. The is very little police presence so nothing happens to stop this either.

2. I paid an extra €85 when I picked up the car to get a diesel because the fuel economy was better than petrol. I spent €86 for 3/4 a tank of gas.

3. I was in an accident on Thursday evening driving in the Doolin area. I had to turn the car in today (Sat) when I got to Galway because the side mirror was damaged. What they didn’t tell me was that on the second car there would be zero insurance so it would mean a $2,000 hold on my credit card. Since I’ve seen the roads, I decided to not chance it. Now I’m in Galway and have to get back to Dublin via bus or train. I had to cancel my rooms in other cities, which I couldn’t get refunds, and rebook new rooms for the change in plans. BTW my accident was caused when I tried to avoid a head on collision and a delivery truck was parked too close to a stop sign half on the road and half on the sidewalk.

Google maps has had no issue on my phone at all. If I had to do over again, I would have booked tours from Dublin or used the train to get to the major cities and do day tours from there. There is so much to see in the cities that you won’t miss out. Plus the day tours will give you a great view of the countryside.

Driving really has been the most stressful part of my trip. Adjusting to driving on the left side of the road really wasn’t the issue at all. If you do rent the car, 100% get the extra insurance.

Reply to: Kylemore Road Car Rental Location Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted