We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours wheels down to take off

Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours wheels down to take off

We will be there for 5 hours 50 if all goes well.

We arrive from the US at 9:50 am (wheels down) and take off again at 15:40.

A little background- there are 6 of us coming from US and heading to Rome in mid August.

So, here's my barrage of questions to any kind souls who will entertain me:

1- How long does it take to clear customs coming from US? is it reasonable to expect (of course only if flight is on time) that we would be through customs by 11?

2. How long in advance of our flight to Rome do we need to be back at the airport?

3. Are there lockers in the airport where we could stow extra carry-on items?

4. I know Dublin proper would be a stretch. Could we at least make it out to Swords or Malahide to see SOMETHING or at least grab a pint?

5. as there are 6 of us will we need 2 cabs? Are they easy to get or should we hire a car prior to arrival? Is it easy to get a cab BACK or should we plan ahead for that?

i've seen other threads but they are several years old so i would like to make sure we have current info. Thanks all for your help! We are so excited to see Ireland, even for a quick second.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,215 Reviews
from US$53.80*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,015 Reviews
from US$77.70*
Best Seller
Book of Kells Early Access Tour with...
239 Reviews
from US$52.60*
5 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours wheels down to take off

Hi

Yes you should be through Passport Control and out at the taxi rank by 11 all going well!

I wouldn't venture too far as you really don't have loads of time. You need to be back in the airport 2 hours before your onward flight to Rome.

You could take a large taxi from the airport to Malahide - about a 15 min drive away but realistically you'll be quite rushed. If you do decide to go for it ask the taxi driver if you could book him for your return to there airport.

2. Re: 6 hours wheels down to take off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 16:41

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours wheels down to take off

Luggage storage:

https:/…additional-facilities

If you just want a pint and a bit of fresh air, go to Howth (10 miles) or Malahide (6 miles). You won't have time for much else. If you do go there make sure your taxi driver tells you where to get your return taxi.

Malahide Castle is worth seeing if you want to sightsee. Howth Harbour is nice to stroll along.

It won't be worth hiring a car on this occasion.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours wheels down to take off

You won’t have to wait for luggage and customs won’t take any time at all if you take the green channel, unless you are challenged. Immigration is dependent on the number of other flights arriving and proportion of non-EU passport holders.

We have done this type of brief sightseeing before or after a transatlantic flight (Chicago and Amsterdam) and managed fine by only having the minimum in a carryon small backpack. That also saves time and expense with left luggage.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,556 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours wheels down to take off

if you go to malahide, and visit gibneys pub (open 1030), there is a taxi office immediately opposite. allow 20 mins for trip to airport . best to order as soon as you arrive as they only have a few minibuses available. leave your luggage in the left luggage at dublin airport, but allow time for collection when you return

Reply to: 6 hours wheels down to take off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted