We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Grange

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
24 reviews
New Grange

My husband and I will land in Dublin on May 8th; pick up our car from Dan Dooley and head to New Grange. On their site you must book a minimum of 36 hours before arrival. If we land at 7:30 AM, what would be a safe time to book our tickets for the New Grange Center and Exhibition followed by the archeological site?

6 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,562 posts
293 reviews
1. Re: New Grange

Hi Charlene,

If it were me I would book for 1 or 2 pm, head to the cafe whilst you wait... Great food.

Kesh_grammy

Jonesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2. Re: New Grange

Thank goodness I read this. I had no idea it must be pre-booked. Off to look at this now.

Our problem is we will be getting off the ferry in Ros a' Mhil in the morning and must hightail it across the entire country. Any input on timing would be great. We were just going to show up and buy tickets!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,562 posts
293 reviews
3. Re: New Grange

Bryan,

you can just show up, however, what if you arrive & nothing left?

Highly recommend a stay over, the area is so rich in historical sites you will be in for a treat.

Kesh_grammy

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: New Grange

Thank you, everyone.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
228 reviews
5. Re: New Grange

Hi CHarlene

If you land at 7.30 you should be through passport control and baggage collection by 8.30- 9. Then allow about an hour to collect the car - so by 10 you should be on the road. It's not far to Newgrange and Kesha suggestion to get something to eat there

Is spot on - the cafe is lovely. I think you should be fine booking for a 12ish tour, but there's plenty to keep you occupied while you wait if you want to play it very safe.

You can purchase a Heritage Card at Newgrange - worth looking into depending on what the rest of your plans are.

Don't plan too much for Day1 as you'll be tired.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,562 posts
293 reviews
6. Re: New Grange

@Dubfam...Good idea picking up the Heritage Card, (depending on the OP's other plans).

I really liked the cafe, (I thought it was reasonable) & the exhibits were outstanding, adding that the facilities were spotless.

Kesh_grammy

Reply to: New Grange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted