We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

metro Boston
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

In February, I booked a nine night stay in Centre City, Dublin for late June (high season). At the end of March, the "host" (rental agent?) informed me that the building I had booked in was no longer allowing Airbnb rentals, and offered me a different property well out of the downtown neighborhood I wanted.

I found a different apartment closer to my preferred area. It was also rented by the same host, and cost more money, but I booked it will him because at that point Airbnb was saying that only 7% of it's Dublin Centre City rentals were still available for my dates. I asked point blank if this apartment would be safe from being pulled from rental and the man assured me that I was all set, there would be no problems with this building, and we moved on.

Still with me? Well, today (end of April) I got another notification from him to say that the second apartment I had booked had also been pulled from Airbnb. According to his communication:

"the owner of the apartment --- received a letter from dublin city council- somebody had complained within the block that people were doing Airbnb. under the new planning law now- if somebody complains and brings it to the attention of dublin city council, dublin city council are obliged to send a letter of enforcement which outlines that the use of the apartment for short term lettings is in breach of planning."

Now I have been "forced" to take the apartment a 20 minute walk from the area where I want to be. The only other listings (all 2 of them) available for my dates are either in the very heart of Temple Bar, where you will never sleep because of the noise, or over 800 euro a night.

So, travelers to Dublin, beware. I am in Dublin a total of about 3 weeks a year, but I am going to try to have to find alternative accommodation if Dublin City Council is going to close down the Airbnbs. Dublin is an expensive city to visit already and this is going to make it worse.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Wild...
1,204 Reviews
from US$53.50*
Best Seller
Giant’s Causeway and Northern Ireland...
1,011 Reviews
from US$77.30*
Best Seller
Book of Kells Early Access and Dublin...
237 Reviews
from US$52.30*
24 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

Some 'news' to support your issue:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dub…

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/iris…

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transpor…

Edited: 25 April 2018, 22:09
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
361 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

Have to say that I'm with Professor Sparrow on this one. It's unfortunate that you lost out on your ideal location, but there is a housing crisis in Ireland (particularly Dublin) at the moment and AirBnB is not making it any better! There will always be other hotels, B&Bs and guesthouses to rent - as expensive as they may be.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

Yes I can totally understand people not wanting airb&bs in their apartment buildings and housing estates. They really have contributed to huge problems for people getting long term rental accommodation in the city.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

If AirBnB did what it was originally intended to do and just allowed people to rent out unused rooms in their houses and flats on a short basis it would probably have been OK. But we have planning laws for a reason and a lot of the properties have crossed the line from a bit of extra income in someone's home to commercial businesses. There's a reason we have planning laws and for a company to encourage people to flout them was asking for trouble.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

About time Dublin City Council started cracking down on properties AirBnB'ing without the appropriate planning. There are literally 4 properties that I can see from my front door which are permanent AirBnB houses and another over my back wall! Meanwhile regular renters are being crippled by increasing rents due to lack of supply.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

"Now I have been "forced" to take the apartment a 20 minute walk from the area where I want to be"

Can you not say no, and book somewhere you'd rather stay?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

There are many apartment rental companies in Dublin that might have availability, with Stay City and Key Collection just being two of them:

https://www.staycity.com/dublin/…

https://www.thekeycollection.ie/…

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,433 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

airbnb is being clamped down in many european cities. palma is the latest to announce a ban on them, and even in ibiza, both airbnb and...TRIP ADVISOR ....are being taken to court over them.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,278 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

I have used the Key Collection for stays in Dublin, excellent accommodations.

https:/…jervis-apartments.html

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware

I saw the piece in the paper about Palma. The reasons given by the authorities there are identical to the ones mentioned in Dublin.

Reply to: Dublin Shutting Down Airbnbs - Beware
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted