We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

Southbury
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

Looking for a Farm house/B & B that is convenient to Cork, Killarney and Dingle. We will need 2 rooms and will be traveling in August 2018.

9 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

There is nowhere convenient to all 3. Killarney area would probably be the most central but you will end up driving a distance to both Cork city (About 90 minutes minimum, if you don't get caught in traffic in Macroom) and to Dingle(Also at least 90 minutes)

This one is well located

http://www.rivervalleyfarmbb.com/location.htm

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,332 posts
660 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

Dublin might be the best area.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,273 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

Dublin? It's not between cork and Killarney, ,and it's a five hour drive from Dingle!

I'd go for Killarney or kenmare.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,273 posts
351 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

"Dublin might be the best area."

"Dublin? It's not between cork and Killarney, ,and it's a five hour drive from Dingle!"

It gets very trying after awhile all right.

Cathy T. I think you will need to have two bases between Cork and Dingle especially if you want to see beautiful west Cork. Glengariff or Kenmare might be good pit stops. Where will you be travelling from and after visiting each place?

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/314522 This offer is sold out but pops up regularly.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

I think two bases is the best idea, but if you were going for one, I would say no further east than Macroom/Millstreet and no further west than Castlemaine. Even so, with those thresholds, you are up to two hours away from one of your destinations.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
194 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

I stay in Millstreet County Cork when I visit Ireland. I have relatives in the area but I also like it because it is between Cork City and Killarney. I stay at the Wallis Arms which has seven rooms above the pub. It is a quiet and clean place that is competitively priced. There are a handful of restaurants in town, petrol stations and grocery stores. There are two banks so there is a reliable ATM. There is plenty of free parking and it is a very safe little town. The Garda station is right next to the Wallis Arms.

There are decent roads around Millstreet so it is an easy drive to Cork City and Killarney. The other thing that is nice ... there is a train station about a mile from the hotel. It is about an hour train ride to Cork and Cobh is just another 30 minutes. There is also a Catholic church about three blocks from the hotel. It is a great little town but it is a quiet little town.

One of the above comments is right about one thing ... the traffic in Macroom - it sucks!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

They are, in fact, actually working on a bypass of Macroom, but I can't say as to when it might be completed.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
194 posts
130 reviews
8. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

Not soon enough !!

I stay in Millstreet but attend a Gathering in Inchigeelagh so I have to drive through Macroom. If traffic is bad, and it normally is, it adds 15 or 20 minutes to my trip.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney

Top tip if you are travelling eastbound through Macroom.and the traffic is bad. Take the left hand turn before the bridge. Then take three right hand turns and it brings you back out on the road to Cork. It works in reverse too, but it's rare that the traffic has backed up towards Cork that you know it when you go through the junction.

Reply to: Where to stay between Cork and Killarney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted