We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Looking for your advice for a possible visit in early-to-mid November in County Donegal, specifically Letterkenny, Rathmullan, and Buncrana areas. Is this even a feasibility given the end of the season & weather? Any advice appreciated about best places to stay and things to do at that time of year. My 5-yr. old daughter will be travelling with us. I'll be doing some writing as well. Would love to find a lovely place to stay (with wifi) that would be quite safe & in a walkable distance of a town.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Weather in Donegal - as in the rest of Ireland - is unpredictable but may feature rain and lowish temperatures in November, and Donegal can be bit miserable if you are stuck indoors due to bad weather. However, assuming that you get a least some good weather and that you also have a car to get around, you should be able to get out and about for some of the time.

Location wise, Rathmullan and Buncrana are both small towns - though Rathmullan is probably no more than a village, whereas Letterkenny is more of a busy country town. Letterkenny has more facilities of a commercial nature including a shopping centre and various commercial outlets. Buncrana and Rathmullan benefit from seaside locations and are prettier towns.

Letterkenny has a range of hotels and B&Bs in and near the town. Rathmullan has a more limited range - Rathmullan House is a good hotel wthin easy reach of the village centre and it has the benefit (assuming some good weather for walking etc) of being on a beach. Frewin House B&B near Ramelton (between Rathmullan and Letterkenny) also gets good reviews. Buncrana has a number of hotels and B&Bs - probably a better range than Rathmullan.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Hi, Maybe Dunfanaghy for another choice of a town? I've been looking at a B&B there, for a trip next yr. It looks like they are open on weekends, in November:

http://www.tatuanseo.com/

They don't mention wi-fi, but the rooms have writing tables near the windows :)

Letterkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Are you going to be here Halloween weekend?

If so Derry is the place to be, they have a fantastic fireworks display and parade on halloween night, it really is not to be missed, its only a 30 min drive to Derry from letterkenny or Buncranna.

If your around at that time let me know, I'll post up the link to the Carnival website :)

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Thanks so much for your advice, everyone! We won't be in the area around Halloween...sorry we'll miss the fireworks & parade in Derry. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Do you have any advice on other "must see's" for places of interest to a 5-yr. old that would be open that time of year? As a novice "left-side-of-the-road/right side of the car-driver", I'm not sure how much distance I want to travel...Most likely doing a big "circle tour" down thru Donegal town, maybe another day or so around to the Cliffs of Moher (is that too far to travel in a day?) and then making our way back towards Dublin. What are your thoughts on distance to travel/places to see/places to avoid?...

Sincerely appreciate your expert advice.

Miss B.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Cliffs of Moher waaayyyy too far! You might be thinking of the cliffs at Slieve League? This is doable from Dunfanaghy - it's about a 2 hour drive. Obviously from other parts of Donegal it would be less travelling time. The cliffs are spectacular - you can see right over to Croagh Patrick in Co Mayo on a good day. Best of all, Slieve League is free to visit!

buncrana
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

Hi,

Linsfort castle is a beautiful location - just outside Buncrana http://www.linsfortcastle.com/ - It may be a little far to walk into Buncrana 2/3 miles but the location is lovely - also I run the Beach House restaurant in Buncrana - www.thebeachhouse.ie which has spectaular sea views - so if you visiting the area we would love to welcome you.

Good luck with your planning

Claire

7. Re: November visit to Letterkenny/Rathmullan/Buncrana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about County Donegal
Recent Conversations