We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to do Cork and Blarney

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
armidale
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
One day to do Cork and Blarney

We are staying at Cork for two nights and have one full day to see Blarney castle in the morning (a Monday) and Cork city. How long will it take to drive from Cork to Blarney Castle? How long should we allow to see the castle and how long will it take to look around Cork city? We have a car and need to know where to park. Is it readily available? We have a 4 and 11 yr old and what to know what the must sees are. Also where is a nice place to eat in the city Monday night, kid friendly, reasonably priced. Thanks

Dublin
Level Contributor
168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to do Cork and Blarney

Blarney is only about 20-25 minutes from Cork City, depending on traffic, what side of the city you're coming from etc. I haven't been at the castle itself since I was a kid so don't know how long you would need to spend there.

A couple of hours is plenty to see Cork city centre, it's not that big and I'm not sure if there are any "must-sees" in the city but it's a really nice town just to walk around, always very lively.

If you have a car and two young kids, you could also look at Fota Wildlife Park, which is also only about 20 mins from the city.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to do Cork and Blarney

Probably your easiest bet for parking is the Carroll's Quay multi-storey car park.

Assuming you come in from Blarney down the main Limerick-Cork road, it will be at the end of it, just before you get to the river. It's not a huge walk from the city centre and will save you becoming acquainted with the city's one way system.

There is an alternative, shorter route through Clogheen that a lot of Corkonians use, but I wouldn't really recommend it as you'll hit some pretty narrow streets when you get to the city. If you do find yourself coming this way, North Main Street car park is probably the best option.

Unlike some of the more central car parks, neither should fill to the point where there are no more spaces available.

You'll only really find that the top end of restaurants aren't child friendly (you'll recognise them by their prices). A few that come to mind that might be particularly suitable are Market Lane, Milano and Scoozi's

Belgium
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to do Cork and Blarney

Allowing about half an hour from the inner city area (Cork) to Blarney, might even include looking for a place to park in Blarney.

There is a stone fenced Village Square/Green near the castle entrance, and though there is a narrow road (dare I say "lane") between the lowish stone wall of the Green and the buildings around it, it's park-able. especially right across from the police (Garda) station

Some people park in front of the supermarket, others leave their vehicle within the nearby grounds of the Blarney Woollen mills.

The last time we we visited Blarney & castle we did the woollen mills... nice stuff. The shop next to the supermarket had similar stuff but some items were nicer. We did the souvenirs shed near the castle gates. Again, somehow they've managed to be that bit different to the other two.

There is more to do within the castle than just kiss a stone, so, for example, if you wanted to explore the grounds, I'd suggest you allow at least 3 hours And now there's some house you can visit too, or so I've read somewhere.

Cork city itself... couple of hours at most. Excluding the amount of time I've recently heard it's taking to squeeze through the crowds to get yourself out of the English market, assuming you can get past the crowds to get in to it in the first place.

Abbeyleix, Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day to do Cork and Blarney

If you have time go to the Shandon bells in the city . Lovely old church and great views of the city.

St Finbarres cathedral is very nice too. Pop into the English Market for coffee . Cork is a nice city to walk around and just take in the city . If you had time you should travel the 25 mins to Midelton and see the Jameson Whiskey Brewery and on the way back to Cork city call to Cobh the last land stop of the Titanic they have a lovely museum there about the Titanic

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day to do Cork and Blarney

Marty,

If I had two hours in Cork city I would do the HOHO bus, best way to get an overview of the city.

If you don't want to do HOHO and prefer 2 hours on foot, I recommend:

Shandon Steeple (watch out for those strange opening hours). You can climb to the top at certain times - great photo opportunities from there.

The Crawford Gallery

The English Market

If I had 3 - 4 hours, you could add the Cork City Gaol. Not great for a 4 year old but an eleven year old would enjoy it. You might also fit in a visit to the small museum at Fitzgeralds park and then across the road, the magnificent UCC campus.

The main Cork attractions are outside of the city

Blackrock Castle Observatory

Blarney Castle

Cobh Heritage Centre

Titanic Experience

Titanic Trail

Spike Island (old juvenile prison)

Camden Fort

Jameson Distillery

Fota House and Wildlife park

Charlesfort

With a short time in the city is is most unlikely that you could fit any of those in unless you allocate further time to do so

It's important to prioritise what you want to do in Cork city if you only have a short time.

california
Level Contributor
540 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day to do Cork and Blarney

Bryno- Is the Butter Museum not worth visiting? I have seen this mentioned in a couple of guide books and wondered about it.

7. Re: One day to do Cork and Blarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:38