We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork City--Yes or No??

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Cork City--Yes or No??

Some background: my great grandfather was born in Cork City 1866. He immigrated to the US sometime in the 1870's or 80's. My grandfather was raised in an orphanage in Ohio so very, very little is know about my 'Irish family'.

My wife and I visited Ireland in May 2011 and I did not go to Cork City. We are planning another trip in May 2012. The traffic around Cork City on the way from Midleton to Kinsale was enough to dissaude me from wanting to go into the city!! My wife couldn't believe I wouldn't want to see where 'I came from'.

My question to those in the know about Cork City: Is it really worth my time to visit there? What, if anything, would you recommend I see to connect me to 1866? I know he was Catholic-- what Catholic church(s) circa 1866 and older should I visit? Any areas of the city that would give me some idea of 1866 Cork City? I've done some work on Ancestry.com and can find nothing on him in Ireland. Any suggestions for sources I could contact in Cork to gain additional genealogical info before I make the trip?

Thanks for all input.

{Great grandson of Patrick James McMahon}

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

A visit to Cork City is deffinitely a "MUST DO".

The DE for Cork is Bryno who may be able to help you with your query.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,361 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

Cork is a wonderful city with a very uique character. I love it (and I'm from Dublin!)

If you have vene some very basic information about you grandfather you may be able to find his baptism record at this site

…irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

It has a lot of Cathloic Church records for Cork online, and addresses and mothers maiden name are often given

I have been able to trace my Dublin ancestors back 8 generations to the 1790s using this resource alone

Edited: 14 October 2011, 11:13
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

Why not!

visited few weeks ago with my parents on Holiday from Italy and had a good time.. half day only...

I love the English Market! (Trading as a market since 1788)

http://www.corkenglishmarket.ie/

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

History of Cork city:

www.corkcity.ie/aboutcork/historyofcork/

http://www.localhistories.org/cork.html

…nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/cork/sport_c…

…nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/…index.html

More on Tracing Ancestors in Cork:

http://tinyurl.com/3qyd7kh

An 'old' postcard of St Patrick's St, Cork included here, as well as lots on Queentstown(now, Cobh):

maggieblanck.com/Mayopages/Emigration.html

Finally, there are over 90 pictures of postcards of Cork city from the nineteenth century in this collection from The Belfast Telegraph newspaper. Follow the link at the bottom of the short article here:

belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/old-ir…

cork
Level Contributor
182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

Absolutely worth the trip. Two places spring to mind immediately that have links to the era your great grandfather left. The first you may have been to as you said you were in Midleton,. It is the Cohn Heritage centre. If your great grandfather left Cork for America the chances are he departed at Cobh, then Queenstown. The centre there had a genealogical service also so who knows they may have a record of him.

The second place is the old Cork city Gaol which was opened in 1824. There are tours there now which give a good insight into life in Cork back then.

It's most likely that the church your great father was baptised in is still standing. Cork was a very compact city back then, most of the populaton living in the inner city or the outskirts. There weren't the sprawling suburbs of today. Most of the churches in the inner city area are still in use. The south chapel dates back to 1766, St Mary's popes Quay to 1834, the Holy trinity to 1832, St Peters and Pauls to 1866 and the north Cathedral to 1808. Interestingly the north Cathedral have parish records dating back to 1731. www.corkcathedral.ie/Genealogy/Genealogy.html Worth checking out.

This website might be useful to you. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ It gives records from the 1901 census in ireland. Maybe some of your great grandfathers relatives, if you know any of their names, are in it. It will give you an idea of how many McMahons were in Cork then and the areas they lived it.

On a more general note Cork is a lovely city to visit. The street lay out hasn't changed much since the 1880's. We were never bombed in the war, although large sections were burned down by the British in the war of independence. You'll find plenty of books here with pictures of Cork as it was then and you'll see much hasn't changed ! Also as the last poster pointed out the English market is a place your great grand father no doubt bought his tripe and drisheen and it's still trading.

One thing is certain, if you walk through that market you'll be following in his footsteps. Best of luck with the research.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

Forgot to include this page from the Catholic Diocese of Cork and Ross:

corkandross.org/html/history/genealogy.jsp

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

Yes, you should go visit this most Irish of cities (in my opinion). Maybe at least for 2 nights & one day. Stay at a hotel or B&B near downtown. Maybe leave the car, and explore by foot, if you can.

I found the downtown very attractive, with a good sea breeze.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,510 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

You MUST come, cork city is such a small city there is no doubt you will visit many places where your dad would have been.

It would be great if you could possibly get an address. Also the Cork City Library has an excellent reference section and the staff there are very knowledgeable and willing to help. However if you want to visit the library to do a little research i recommend that you make contact with them first by email and get a head start.

An address or even an area would be a great start.

Do come - you won't regret it. Make it a two day/night trip at least to get the most from your stay.

By the way, the drive from Midleton to Kinsale is typically a very easy and 'not congested' drive. I wonder if you went the typical route last time you were here?

There is also a very good park and ride system in Cork city where you can leave your car safely about 2 miles from city centre and take the bus into the city and back again all for just €5

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

Thanks for all the input. I've been away for the weekend and I'm just now reading it. Lots of links to checkout in the morning when I'm not so tired!! Thanks again to all.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cork City--Yes or No??

Here's another link for you to follow when you get up tomorrow. Back in 2009 I spent a wonderful couple of days in Cork. So here's the link to my Trip Report in case that should give you any ideas:

tripadvisor.com/…22515513

Keith