We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

Galway
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Topic
Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

Hi.

I will be in Cork in a few weeks time for Friday and Saturday nights.

Could anyone here recommend any restaurants I could bring the other half to?

Neither of us would be fans of Chinese or Thai type food but other than that we would not be fussy eaters.

I'd like to bring herself to a nice restaurant with excellent food.

Price doesn't really come into it - just want to enjoy some really good food.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

For a romantic dinner I would recommend Flemings, an old-style manor house dining room, with French style haute cuisine. Not cheap, but superb food.

If you are prepared to travel a bit, a 40 minute drive will take you to Ballymaloe House - legendary

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

For a romantic dinner I would recommend Flemings, an old-style manor house dining room, with French style haute cuisine. Not cheap, but superb food.

If you are prepared to travel a bit, a 40 minute drive will take you to Ballymaloe House - legendary

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

With due respect to Soonas both of those recommendationsare very good but will reaquire transport to and from. If fan 28 will be staying in cork city and wants to be able to walk to and from the restaurant then there is no need to get into a bus, taxi or car.

Typically at present the better than average city centre restaurants are:

Jacques www.jacquesrestaurant.ie Hidden away in Phoenix street, just two mins walk from the GPO

Jacobs on the Mall www.jacobsonthemall.com (favourite eating place of many a celtic tiger - the building is an old restord turkish bathhouse)

Try a pre or post dinner drink at Souths bar at the Imperial hotel just across the road or a little further away the Cruibin pub just across road from City hall.

Cafe Paradiso (high quality vegetarian) www.cafeparadiso.ie I am not vegetarian but I must say it's a favourite for me. Try a pre or post dinner drink at Costigans or a cocktail at Long Island bar both on nearby Washington street.

Les Gourmandises www.lesgourmandises.ie (French cuisine cooked and served by the French themselves!!) Pre,post dinner drink in Counihans of nearby Pembroke street.

Augustines at the Clarion www.augustines.ie They do a very good tasting menu. Based in the Clarion hotel. Try a pre or post dinner drink at the Sextant pub just across the river from Clarion and later find The Idle hour just down the road from the Sextant. Definitely worth a look.

Star Anise - Bridge Street (can't find a web site for them). Just two minutes walk from Patricks bridge.

If you forced me to choose my top two, they would be:

Cafe Paradiso (see my recent review http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186600-d1024659-r85433245-Cafe_Paradiso-Cork_County_Cork.html)

Jacques.

After this I could name 20 other bistro type restaurants that you would not be disappointed in depending on the type of food you like.

For light lunch on either day:

The Farmgate restaurant in the English Market - great chowder with brown bread !!

The Long Valley on Wintrhop Street, a fine old traditional bar serving hand made sandwiches with soup and a pint of course !

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

I would second the Jacques vote, myself and my other halfs favourite restaurant in the city. You also have a few very nice watering holes in very close proximity if that takes your fancy. The long Valley, The Hi-B, The Crane lane and Canty's to name but a few.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

I'd go along with everything Bryno said, except that I've never eaten in Star Anise.

The only extra place I'd add is Perrot's Bistro in the Hayfield Manor Hotel.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

If you Cork folk can tolerate a Dub having an informed opinion about things in Cork, I'd suggest Isaacs on McCurtain Street. It's a long established bistro-type restaurant, has a very pleasant atmosphere and good food, and for me, eating in Isaacs is one of the things that makes visits to Cork so pleasant.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

Domhnall of COURSE we can tolerate it, we are very flexible ;-))

I agree with you about Isaacs, I really like it especially at this time of year - fantastic atmosphere.

The only reason I didn't list it (as well as quite a few more) is that because fan28 gave the impression that he he wanted somewhere xtra special. Isaacs is very good, just a wee bit too bistro-ish maybe for fan28 and his mott!!

Re Perrotts at Hayfield manor, I didn't list it as I haven't eaten there yet !!!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

Two more I would suggest are Liberty Grill on Washington street and the new Electric on South Mall, both excellent atmosphere especially on the weekends and excellent food

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

Allezlesrouge,

I agree about the Liberty Grill. We were in Cork in June, and we ate there. Wonderful food, cozy little spot, and great service.

Ellen

cork
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nicest Restaurants In Cork?

I would like to recommend The Strazbourg Goose on French Church street, great staff and a three course meal including steak for 20 euro, amazing value and really nice