We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas dinner in Cork.

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
385 posts
96 reviews
Christmas dinner in Cork.

Does anyone know what restaurants will be open for Christmas Eve and Christmas day for dinner? My family and I will be in Cork for the holidays and I thought I better find a place for dinner and lunch.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

Are you staying in Cork city?

Most restaurants open on Christmas Eve for lunch, but tend to be booked out very far in advance. I'm not aware of any that open on Christmas Day (it's very much a family at home day). Hotels offering Christmas breaks will of course have Christmas dinner as a feature, but you usually have to buy the whole package

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,636 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

Where are you staying in Cork, a hotel? Or are you doing self-catering?

If the hotel is open they would hopefully have something available. If you're staying on your own somewhere the best thing to do is buy something to make your own meals for Christmas Day.

Ireland "really" shuts down on Christmas. Not like the US where most things are closed but things are open here and there if you need something. Ireland totally shuts down, everyone spends the day with the family.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
389 reviews
3. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

Agreed. You need to think carefully about your day here, it is very much a family day at home.

All restaurants will be open on Christmas eve but will try an close earlier than usual for the sake of their hardworking staff.

There are many to choose from and some will have to be booked months ahead.

It depends on what type of food you want.

I don't know of any hotels /restaurants open on Christmas day in Cork apart from the obvious hotels that will offer Christmas 'packages' for their resident guests.

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
385 posts
96 reviews
4. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

I am getting worried because we are staying at a B&B and they have not said anything about dinner on Christmas day. I did ask them if they knew any restaurants open and they said they did not think that there would be any open. The B&B is walking distance to the city center.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,636 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

I'm surprised you found a Bed and Breakfast open on Christmas night. You may want to contact them again and see what they might suggest for options.

I have to say it seems a little odd for them to be open yet knowing that guests wouldn't have anywhere to go for a meal that evening. Much less since so many B&Bs are family-run I'm curious how they will do their own Christmas thing with paying guests on premises.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
389 reviews
6. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

I too am surprised a B&B is open for guests on Christmas eve / day.

I wonder what they will be expecting you to do on Christmas day. It's all a bit odd really. You need to clarify this. Christmas day would be awful if you had to spend it eating popcorn in your room. Maybe they are assuming you have family in Cork and that you will be spending christmas day there?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

I find it hard to believe that any B and B is going to get up Christmas morning and do you a full breakfast, where are you staying Christmas night to St Stephens? Are they expecting you to be up and gone by 10am?

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
385 posts
96 reviews
8. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

I am actually leaving Cork on December 25th for Killarney. My husband corrected me when I told him that I did not know what the B&B would do. The owner did say that the cost of the room included breakfast. We are checking in on Dec 23 and checking out on Christmas day. I had a hard time finding a B&B for these dates. I am also staying at the same B&B and the end of our stay in Ireland. Maybe it is a slow time and we are a family of 5 adults. Now I am having a problem finding a place for dinner on Christmas night in Killarney. I found one hotel but it is $160.00 per person for dinner. We may be eating spam in our room. The place that I am staying at in Killarney said they may do some grocery shopping for us and stalking our refrigerator for us for a fee. That would be nice so we could make a dinner at least. I am waiting to hear back from them. Wish me luck!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
389 reviews
9. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

The $160 you were quoted for Christmas night is probably an 'all in' type of Christmas party affair to include aperitifs, dinner and probably entertainment.

Regarding stocking your fridge. This will be difficult for them to do on Christmas day as the majority of food shops will be closed and even those that are open will not have the freshest food. e.g. bread, vegetables, fruit.

Ireland shuts down on Christmas eve at about 5pm (apart from the pubs) and opens again in a limited way on St Stephens Day (26th Dec).

You could do some of your own shopping in cork on Christmas eve. If the place in Killarney is going to shop for you, be very clear about what they will provide. You don't want to be stuck on christmas day without the essentials.

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
385 posts
96 reviews
10. Re: Christmas dinner in Cork.

Maybe the B&B would let me store my groceries in their fridge for the night of Christmas Eve? My husband and In will be picking up our kids at the Cork airport on Christmas Eve. I guess my husband and I will have a early dinner in Cork and then pick them up at 7:30pm. Do you know if any pubs will be open late that night? Can you recommend a restaurant for dinner for my husband and I? I have notified the tourist center also to see if they know of any restaurants open on Christmas day in Killarney. Thanks for the help.

Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations