We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Dear Forum,

I was wondering if you can help me with a query. Is there a museum at the Collins Barracks (Cork) and is it worth a visit?

Regards,

Monty

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Monty

I do not believe that there is a museum in Collins Barracks in Cork, but could stand corrected on this. There may be some confusion on this topic as Collins Barracks in Dublin, which is no longer in army service, was converted to museum use by the National Museum of Ireland in the mid 1990s.

Domhnall

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Thanks for the reply.

I found the following information online about the Collins Barracks Museum - Cork:

corkheritageopenday.ie/thebuildings/…en.html

That is the only information I could find. I was wondering if it has closed down?

Regards,

Monty

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Monty

I don't have any further info on the Cork Museum - maybe some of the Cork posters on this site may pick up on this and give you an update.

Domhnall

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Yes, there is indeed a museum at Collins barracks and it is the brainchild of Captain Dan Harvey (a grandnephew I believe of a very famous former Irish Statesman).

Captain Harvey has put a lot of effort into this small museum which is located at Collins Barracks on Military Hill, Cork.

I have never been there and I don't know what the opening days/times are but I will phone tomorrow and find out.

In the meantime if you want to do a bit of googling on Capt. Dan Harvey it might throw up some results for you as he has also written a book on the subject of matters military.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Here is the name of that book Dan Harvey wrote:

The Barracks: A History of Victoria / Collins Barracks, Cork. by Dan Harvey and Gerry White (Cork: Mercier Press, 1997))

The following was written about he barracks in August 2004:

"

The Minister for Defence, Michael Smith, T.D. is pleased to announce that his Department has recently placed construction contracts for Collins Barracks, Cork with a total overall value, including consultancy, design and other project services, of €1m approx. Details of the individual contracts which were placed following a competitive tender process, are as follows:-

Refurbishment and relocation of Military Museum in Collins Barracks.

This project involves transferring the Military Museum, which has an extensive holding of Michael Collins and other military memorabilia, to a newly refurbished location in the barracks that will facilitate public assess to the museum without compromising barrack security.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Here is a name of that book by Dan Harvey, it might help with your googling.

The Barracks: A History of Victoria / Collins Barracks, Cork. by Dan Harvey and Gerry White (Cork: Mercier Press, 1997))

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Apologies, 20 times over the past 2 days I have meant to phone the museum but I keep getting side tracked. (This downturn in the economy has made any of us working much much busier - darn it)

I promise I will phone tomorrow and find out what the story is.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

Dear Bryno,

Thanks for the background information and help.

According to the web-site link it is open:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings 10.00 a.m. to 13.00 p.m.

I assume that the museum is part of the army base rather than a stand alone museum, so I suppose access may be restricted at times.

Regards,

Monty

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

You are correct it is part of the barracks and the museum is within the grounds but the entrance for public is via a separate gate.

I think if you are interested in things military you would enjoy a visit. The barracks alone is quite impressive (not a patch on it's opposite number in Dublin of course, but still good)

I'll still make that call tomorrow as these places can sometimes change their visting times depending on time of year etc.

ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Collins Barracks Museum - Cork

yes its well worth a visit. also worth a visit is belfast jail. where tom williams was hanged

Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations