We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in cork

bristol
Level Contributor
304 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weekend in cork

i am thinking of doing a weekend trip for my son for his 18th birthday just for him and his girlfriend. can you tell me how close the airport is to the town please? the easiest way to get into town and recommendations on accomodation. i want to pay for everything for them and am not sure of the best way to do that

thanks hannah

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend in cork

Hi Hannah

Cork Airport is about 15 minutes by taxi to the City or Your Son & His Girlfriend could catch the Airport Bus from outside the Arrivals Hall, if you go onto Bus Eireann website you will find the times & the stops in the City, I would say the Western Road is probaly best for accommodation as it is full of B&B's ( & the bus stops outside Jurys Hotel near them) the best thing to do is e-mail Bryno as he has a list of recommended accommodation you can get him on :

brynoadvisor@yahooie

there are quite a few pubs & clubs in Cork the Washington Street Area is full of them & quite popular with young people. I take a group of young men ( my senior footy team) over every year & they always enjoy their visit. Congratulations on Your Sons 18th & I am sure they will enjoy their visit to Cork City.

Take Care

Nebo

bristol
Level Contributor
304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend in cork

thanks for that nebo. it sounds ideal. i have just been looking at the jurys hotel too....as its a special occasion it would be nice to push the boat out and i can get some good deals from late rooms too. are there any othe top hotels with gym/pools etc that are in the city?

hannah

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend in cork

Hi Hannah.

If You are looking at Jurys make sure it is Jurys Hotel on the Westerd Rd You look at because there is a Jurys Inn at Andersons Quay & they are now not owned by the same company, I was advised not to stay there mainly because of the area which is a shame.

Now I will do my best to help regarding the Hotels but we really need Bryno here as he is the best one for this part SO COME ON BRYNO WAKEY WAKEY !!!

going on the North Side of the Bridge ( across from the main street & shops) you have The Quality Hotel on John Redmond St,(they have a pool, & I think they are a 3 star Hotel) that would take a 15 minute saunter over the bridge to all the pubs etc, also on that side but a bit further along is the Gresham Hotel in Maccurtain St,(also have a pool also a 3 star)that would take about 20 minutes walk. Crossing the bridge you will have The Imperial Hotel (4 stars & A Pool) on The South Mall which is right in the City,from there you have Lancaster Lodge on Lancaster Quay Western Rd ( 4 star but no pool)then just a few yards from there you have Jurys Hotel ( 4star but not sure if they have a pool) some of my lads visited here for a coffee & said it was very nice.Hopefully Bryno will have woken up soon & help. By the way on his e-mail address I gave you I left the dot out so it should have read:

brynoadvisor@yahoo.ie

Best Of Luck

Nebo

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend in cork

Nebo - you don't need me, you're playing a blinder !!! All good info there.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend in cork

Thanks Bryno You trained me well !!!as a matter of interest what is happening with you lately, are you slowing down or really having a snooze !!!because your responses are not forthcoming as fast as they used to. You must remember that You are the Expert for Cork not people like me who are mere novices,I only know what I have learnt from you.

Take Care

Nebo

bristol
Level Contributor
304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend in cork

many thanks you have been fantastic help

hannah

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend in cork

You are most welcome Hannah, only too pleased to help, I know they will enjoy Cork, I would be interested to hear what they thought of it on their return, so please do let us know. You never know they might take you on their next visit.

Best Of Luck

Nebo

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
790 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend in cork

the easiest way to get from the airport to the city centre is with skylink ,this bus pulls up outside arrivals every 30 mins ,and takes 15 mins to get to the city (its a yellow bus with skylink airport-city written on the side)costs 8 euro return each,when returning to the airport ask at hotel or b and b to ring skylink for the nearest pick-up point ,it stops outside most if not all city hotels.i did a quick check for you regarding hotels only and the best deal i could find was the (gresham metropole hotel cork) google this hotel.or phone 353-214643700 ,double rooms are 130 euro a night and they have one of the best leisure centres in cork city with a 20m pool,to put it in perspective cork is not a big city our main street , patrick street is a 5 mins walk from one end to the other ,the hotel i mentioned is on the street above this called mccurtain street, a much quieter street,not sure about your knowledge of the city but if you could let me know what you think they would enjoy ie. day trips ,nightlife ,places to avoid etc. i will help as best i can.

9. Re: weekend in cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations