We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FAO bryno

doncaster
4 posts
Save Topic
FAO bryno

Posted on: 10:54 am, today Save

Hi Bryno

I too was very impressed with all your hard work. It is a pity you didn't get any feedback yourself when you went to all that trouble.

My husband and I are going to County Cork end of July for 4 nights and we don't know where to stay either. We have seen Sheila's Hostel nearly on every website but it is on a hill. We are in our early 50's and I don't want to be shattered every time we have to return to my bed!

You mention Auburn, I did look at the website but when you click the page for booking etc there is not webpage?!!

Would you recommend Sheila's to us at all?

Thanks

dipsy81

ps I have sent it again with your name on as you may not see the other thread

Mentioned in this post
County Cork
County Cork
Province of Munster, Ireland
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FAO bryno

Hi Dipsy81

You might find a report from Funnkynassau (Nov2007) on this Forum helpful about the area where Sheilas Hostel & Auburn House is as they actually stayed at Auburn House & found the hill very steep to climb. there are loads more B&Bs etc that would be on the flat where you could stay, if you look on the Western Rd there are plenty, but I am sure our Friend Bryno will be in touch with some recommendations for you, I visit Cork about 4 times a year but I have a favourite B&B where I stay, I won't mention it here as Bryno will say I am biased.good luck with your search.

Enjoy Your Visit

Nebo

Mentioned in this post
Sheilas
Sheilas
363 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Auburn House B&B
Auburn House B&B
430 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
doncaster
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: FAO bryno

THANKS NEBO

I have just nearly booked for Sheila's, just started to put my c/c number down as you and hubby got in touch. Text my hubby at work and he said ok. Then changed his mind and said wait. Then the same time you put this message on for me.

I have looked all day at different hotels, b&b's, etc and they are all expensive just for 4 nights. My eyes are getting really tired now. So i will look again tomorrow afternoon.

I do thank you very much but you could have told me the place where you stay. I must be very picky. I have looked at them all on Google Earth and some are too far away from Cork City.

Dipsy81

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FAO bryno

Hi Dipsy81

Glad to be of help, I am surprised you haven't had a response from Bryno by now he is usually on the ball with answering any questions about accommodation, perhaps he is having his snooze but don't worry once he wakes up he will bombard you with info.

Now Bryno if you do read this please remember Dipsy asked me where I stay on my visits I don't want to be accused of touting for customers for my favourite B&B.

Dipsy I always stay at Garnish House on the Western Rd.check their website out on :

www.garnish.ie

although you may find a cheaper B&B than Garnish remember you get what you pay for. What I will do is send you a message to explain further about this B&B.

Take Care

Nebo

Mentioned in this post
Garnish House
Garnish House
1,465 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
doncaster
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: FAO bryno

Hi Nebo

Thanks for telling me the place you stay, but i had already read about it. I did look it up but found it too expensive. At the end of the day, all we want is a bed to sleep in as we will be out all day sightseeing etc.

I too am surprised i haven't heard from Bryno but he too, may be on his hols!!!

Thanks anyway

dipsy.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FAO bryno

Hi Dipsy.

Sorry I couldn't be of help, Good luck with your search. Come on Bryno where are you when you are needed, don't tell us your computer has been confiscated !!!!

Dipsy please let me know how you get on if you find a suitable place, all I will say is check them out with T/A Forum Members before you book anything. Hopefully Bryno will be online soon with advice.

Take Care

Nebo

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FAO bryno

Sorry, I saw this, meant to reply and then it slipped my mind, it must be all that sun.

Would I recommend Sheilas to you? Probably. Do you like hostel type accommodation? If so, go for it. Last time I took a peek into Sheilas it looked a bit 'worn' but that was all. It's mainly frequented by those in their mid 20's but not exclusively so. I wrote something about Sheilas last year, I'll try and find it.

Here's a link to other hostels

http://www.hostels.com/en/ie.mu.co.co.html

Arran house got a bad review recently. Bru Bar is for young groups of people (Stag parties seem to like it)

Kinlay house is popular as is Cork International.

Mentioned in this post
Sheilas
Sheilas
363 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Isle of Arran
Isle of Arran
Scotland, UK
Cork International Hotel
Cork International Hotel
2,583 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FAO bryno

Actually, it was two years ago that I did a recce on Sheilas hostel, I can't believe how quickly the time is going.

Here it is:

Posted on: 9:39 am, February 15, 2006 Save

Sheilas, Hostel Wellington road, Cork

I visited Sheilas Hostel at lunchtime today. First, let me give you my position on Hostels. I love all kinds of accommodation from 5* to hostel type but in all cases the premises must be very clean, I don’t mind worn . old or well used, but if a place is not clean I will never darken it’s doorstep again and will not recommend. I also like it to have decent basic facilities such as showers and kitchen.

Sheilas Hostel is old, worn and appears to be well used. The photo on the front of their brochure and on the website is a little misleading as they depict a well maintained exterior while in reality the paintwork could do with a touch up.

It would also do no harm to sweep along the front of this lovely 3 story Georgian (?) building. When I walked in, there was a content buzz as the open plan ground floor is taken up with the reception area, an internet café, a small coffee dock and a sort of lounge area. The reception area looks quite professional with two computer monitors one of which was being used by a very friendly female receptionist. The paintwork on the walls needs to be touched up as it does not give a good impression, but I have to say there was no visible sign of uncleanliness.

The lounge chairs were quite worn, and the pine tables and chairs the same. There were people surfing the net, some were relaxing and others were having coffee. They all looked happy. There is a sort of tuck shop in reception too and I saw bottles of wine for sale there among other things. To be honest, it’s not the kind of place I would want to linger and sip my Beaujolais (spelling?). It lacks a homely air, I feel. However if you have stayed in hostels before and are comfortable with this kind of accommodation then you will not have a problem with Sheilas.

I did not ask to view the rooms as I did not have a lot of time and I already looked very suspicious and out of place dressed in business attire !!!! I would have liked to see one of them though.

For me, overall marks out of 10 would be 5,(most marks lost just because the proprietors could do with giving it a lick of paint, updating some of the furniture and improving the first impression. However maybe they are doing such a roaring trade that they do not have time for these improvements.

One bad point against Sheilas, and this only applies to guests with cars, you have to pay for the parking there during the day, 1.80 euro for 2 hours, this involves purchasing parking disks from the shop across the road, which could potentially cost you 7 euro extra if you leave your car there all day AND you have the inconvenience of having to replace the parking disks as they run out.

As DRzava said, it is extremely convenient to city centre (about 10 mins walk)

Please give me some feedback on Sheilas after your stay there, it would be a great help for future posts.

Mentioned in this post
Sheilas
Sheilas
363 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
8. Re: FAO bryno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Cork