We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

your opinion on accomodations

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
your opinion on accomodations

Hello again. My daughter and I will be coming to cork by train the evening of July 15th. I have narrowed the available accomodations down to 3: Jurys Inn Cork, Hotel Isaacs, and the Gabriel House B&B. I am really leaning to Gabriel House unless you tell me something surprising. Are they all a short distance to Kent station? How far away would we need to walk to catch a bus to the airport on the 16th? Is there any other places (in the same price range) worth considering. I appreciate and respect your opinion. Roaminokie

Mentioned in this post
Jurys Inn Cork
Jurys Inn Cork
1,980 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Hotel Isaacs Cork
Hotel Isaacs Cork
1,032 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Gabriel House B&B
Gabriel House B&B
627 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Kent
Kent
England, UK
California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: your opinion on accomodations

Hi roaminokie, If you want something near to Kent station or if you would like to consider any other links then I would like you to have a look at http://www.sletoh.com/s144767.html which has a list of hotels to look at and their description and addresses so that you can select the required one.

Mentioned in this post
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: your opinion on accomodations

Alden, Thank you so much to take the time to respond. I will check out the site you suggested. Have a fabulous day! R.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: your opinion on accomodations

With regard to location, Jury's Inn is practically next to the bus station and close to the train station - just a short walk down the hill and over the bridge. Hotel Isaacs is on the same street as the train station (different name though but just down the hill) and the bus station is just one block to the river and over the bridge. Gabriel House is closer to the train station but probably more of a walk as it is uphill either via quite a few steps (short cut) or via the street (longer). It is furthest from the bus station.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Isaacs Cork
Hotel Isaacs Cork
1,032 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Gabriel House B&B
Gabriel House B&B
627 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: your opinion on accomodations

Wow Alden - 11 posts so far this month - and each one recommending sletoh.com, whether people are asking about hotels in Austria, France, Ireland, Italy, Germany . . . .

You must think it's a really great web-site to recommend it so often?

roaminoakie, Bryno is the destination expert for Cork and is always on hand with spot-on advice. I think he's been away for a few days, but hopefully he'll help you out on his return

I'm sorry I can't help with any information about Cork - not a city I've visited (yet).

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
France
France
Europe
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: your opinion on accomodations

tonyirish - hallo there

hadn't seen your post before I hit the button (had to go rescue our cat mid-post!!) - your 1000th I note - congratulations! :-)

I've just returned from a week in Dingle, and, as it was raining when I popped into Killarney, I walked from Muckross out to Torc Waterfall, having remembered your advice to visit after rainfall.

I am SO glad I recalled your recommendation! What a sight - and the noise!! I heard the waterfall way back before I reached it. I got very wet feet, but it was worth it. Thank you!

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Torc Waterfall
Torc Waterfall
3,083 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,906 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: your opinion on accomodations

I can't disagree with what tonyirish has said re location.

All are easy distance to the train and bus station.

If I had the choice, I would probably knock Jurys Inn off that list, the other two are nicer.

With regard to location, Jury's Inn is practically next to the bus station and close to the train station - just a short walk down the hill and over the bridge. Hotel Isaacs is on the same street as the train station (different name though but just down the hill) and the bus station is just one block to the river and over the bridge. Gabriel House is closer to the train station but probably more of a walk as it is uphill either via quite a few steps (short cut) or via the street (longer). It is furthest from the bus station.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Isaacs Cork
Hotel Isaacs Cork
1,032 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Gabriel House B&B
Gabriel House B&B
627 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: your opinion on accomodations

Hi Sarnia,

Glad you made it out to Torc Waterfall - at least the rain has one plus going for it. There are other falls around Killarney that are also worth visiting but they are in secluded locations with little signage and difficult to give directions to. I think I did try in a very old post but have not had a chance to double check those directions since posting them. One is down river from Derricunnihy Church on the Killarney-Kenmare road and the other worth a visit is O'Sullivan's Cascade just up from the Lower Lake over by Hotel Dunloe Castle.

About the 1000th post. I had noticed that I was approaching it and then missed it when it happened. Thanks for spotting it for me.

Mentioned in this post
Torc Waterfall
Torc Waterfall
3,083 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: your opinion on accomodations

Thank you all for your input. Bryno, you are "spot on" again with your advice. My only regret is that I don't have more time to spend in your beautiful country. I guess I should just be grateful to have this opportunity with another to follow... hopefully. Any advice for a MUST SEE in Cork, Bryno? I already have down to see the cathedral and the market. I am not afraid to hoof it a bit (and my daughter is a 17 yr old athlete) rather than fool with transportation.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,906 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: your opinion on accomodations

Roamin, do I understand you will be here for one night?? If so, how many daylight hours will you have on the 15th. Let me know,and I can put a little mini itinerary together for you.

Also,at the start of July have a look at www.whazon.com where it lists events that are on for July.

10. Re: your opinion on accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Cork
;