We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South West Cork

Suffolk
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
South West Cork

I'm planning to come to Cork in June with my boyfriend.

We'd really like to explore the South West tip and have hired a car but want to do lots of walks and camping in the area.

Does anyone have any 'must-do' tales or ideas? We're pretty hardy!

Many thanks

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South West Cork

My favourite thing to do in that part of Cork is to take the cable car across to Garnish island (tip of the Bere Peninsula) Then you could walk some of that island. That whole area is very beautiful and you will find lots to see and do if you like walking. The local tourist offices are great.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South West Cork

You will love Cork and its environs. However, if you have a bit of time on your side when you get to Bantry come over the Healy Pass ( just ask someone ) into Kenmare. Then drive the Ring of Kerry from Kenmare, Parknasilla, Sneem, Caherdaniel, Waterville, Caherciveen, Killorglin, Killarney and then either straight back to Cork City or back over the Healy Pass to Bantry. You should be stunned by the scenary en route. Have a ball.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Bantry
Bantry
County Cork, Ireland
Healy Pass
Healy Pass
197 Reviews
Adrigole, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
2,266 Reviews
Sneem, Ireland
Waterville
Waterville
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,896 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South West Cork

Wearb, I think you mean Dursey Island for the cable car. The only way onto Garnish Island (near Glengarriff) is by boat.

Jo, you like camping then this is a great site

www.camping-ireland.com

Also, you might want to use hostels sometimes. There are some good hostels in some fantastic locations.

Look here www.anoige.ie (An Oige is the name of the national hostelling association.( It means 'The Young' however, anyone can use the hostels be you young and young at heart !

Also there is an association of independent hostels. I think it's www.independenthostelsireland.com

What you need to do is have a look at a map of the South West tip (which is absolutely beautiful)and decide on a route. The coastal areas there are all very dramatic.

Come back when you have a route decided on.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,896 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South West Cork

When searching on www.camping-ireland.com you can search by county. The counties on the South West tip are Cork and Kerry.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South West Cork

Yes Bryno thanks for the correction. I did mean Dursey Island.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South West Cork

Thanks everyone!

I had heard about the cable car and it's on my list!

Bryno - We'll plan the route and I'll let you know.

As we can't predict the weather, we'll be camping and then drying out in a B&B, if my predictions are right! What am I saying? It'll be glorious sunshine the whole week. 12 - 19 June, if anyone wants to cross their fingers.

Cheers again

Jo

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,896 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South West Cork

Jo, I'll pray for you and the tent !!! Last year was the wettest June since 1958, see here

www.met.ie/climate/monthly_summarys/jun07.pdf

Happily though, June is generally the driest month on average.

By the way www.met.ie is an excellent resource if you want to keep an eye on weather patterns before your trip.

Corfe Castle...
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South West Cork

Come to Clonakilty at a weekend and listen to some great live music - either Shanleys (free and great quality music) or De Barras (cover charge) are your best bets.

Mentioned in this post
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
9. Re: South West Cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Cork