We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

My husband and I are going to Ireland in August for 14 days and he doesn't want to go to a different hotel every night. Can you recommend central locations and/or towns and/or hotels for each of the areas of Ireland that we visit such as the Dublin area, Southeast area, Cork and Kerry, Galway and Mayo area and Northwest Ireland? I guess, instead of asking about four different areas (quadrants) of Ireland, I've asked for five. Oh, well. Thank you so much.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

Houston - we have a problem! My problem is, I do not know if you will be staying in Cork City or County when you are here. Let me know and I will endeavour to correct that issue for you.

When you answer, it will be one small question for houston, one giant answer for bryno.

By the way - your husband is very sensible.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

i guess the answer will depend on your likes/dislikes....

for 14 days i would stay in 8 places...and none of them would be hotels...doing that in ireland is like doing it anywhere else in the world...have you considered b&bs?....they are so very pleasant and you feel like you leave friends behind...

day 1 dublin, see the city, adjust to time difference...

day 2-3 kinsale

day 4-5 killarney

day 6-7 dingle

day 8-9 doolin, one of those days visit one of the aran islands

day 10-11 galway

day 12-13 killaloe/ballina

day 14 bunratty

only one day of bad driving, dingle to doolin (about 4-5 hours), other than that, the days are not all butt time, you will see a lot, and see some of the most beautiful parts of ireland...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

To answer your questions, we are thinking of staying in the region of Cork. Also, to answer the other questions, we hesitate to stay in B and B's because we have had poor experience in them in the past in the US. We are thinking of spending time at the Ashford Castle and the Dromoland Castle as our two big splurges. BTW, we are flying into and out of Shannon and so that would make a big difference in the itinerary. Your help is so greatly appreciated. Can you also recommend the sights we could attach to each of the places that we could stay? Thanks so much in advance. I hope that this goes to the right forum. This is the first time that I have tried this.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

Also, I think that we would want to stay two days in Dublin. Thanks again.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
389 reviews
5. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

Repeat Houston, your transmission seems to be breaking up.....

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

believe me houston, b&bs are nothing like the ones in the u.s....quiet the opposite....but of course that is up to you....

as for dublin, of course stay there two days if that is what you wish but it will far worse than staying in downtown houston, so if you like big cities, you will like dublin....don't know what you will find of interest for 2 days but if that is what you want, go for it....but DO NOT drive in dublin, makes downtown houston look like a rural area....lol...

whatever you decide, have a great time...but i can tell you from experience, you are trying to go too many places in 14 days....cork and dublin are very high traffic areas and poor signage....

not knowing which places you want to visit in the northwest, and the southeast, it is hard to advise...but if you do waterford in the southeast, and donegal in the northwest, and just figuring maybe kinsale, killarney, dingle, doing dublin, etc. you are talking a lot of miles...i would guess somewhere around 1000 miles plus...now in texas that would be doable...but in ireland you are talking a lot slower pace and a lot of behind end miles....

you can't cover all of ireland in 14 days except from the seat of a car and if you want to "see" it, maybe think about cutting out some areas so you can come home with wonderful memories and not a numb bum....lol...

i think everyone wants to park but with the places you want to see, even if you split it up to five areas you will be driving lots of miles each day to the areas you mentioned and back to your accommodations....

happy planning, and safe travels.....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

HoustonHouston

There's plenty to do in Dublin and you might even find it difficult to narrow a 'must see and do' list down enough to fit two days. I live here on a permanent basis and I'm never short of new things to explore as well as old favourites to revisit.

Here's some recent threads from the Dublin forum to give you some ideas.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k18560…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k18490…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k17031…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k16384…

Enjoy Dublin!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
389 reviews
8. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

HH, don't be put off by previous experiences in B&B's, there are great B&B's in this country. (Yes, bad ones too), but if you do a little research on any that you are thinking of using I don't think you will be disappointed.

If you want my list of accomms in Cork city that include Hostels, B&B's, Guesthouses and hotels mail me at brynoadvisor@yahoo.ie

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
87 reviews
9. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

I am with Carrsmill about the Dublin thing. Advising people going to Ireland to ignore Dublin and move only to the west or to the countryside in general, it's like advising people coming to Greece go straight to the islands,skipping Athens. Dublin has looots of places ideal for sight-seeing,of course depending on what someone is interested to. I stayed there for 5 days last February,and yet I feel there were so many things I didn't manage to see/do.

kerry
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
10. Re: car tour - locations in quadrants of Ireland

HoustonHouston, I'm going to shamelessly try and sell my own town here and suggest you base yourself here in Dingle from where you can explore the southwest.

Here are three good upmarket, guesthouses which get rave reviews:

http://www.castlewooddingle.com/

http://www.greenmount-house.com/

http://www.greenmount-house.com/

Things to do while you're here:

http://dodingle.com/

From Dingle you can visit Killarney and The Ring of Kerry.

http://www.lakehotel.com/ringofkerry.htm

Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations