We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Cork

Fife, Scotland
5 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Cork

What is the situation regarding car parking in Cork? Do I have to buy parking tickets from somewhere before I can park (and if so where?) or are there meters/machines? Also how much on avergae am I going to be for parking?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Cork

Bryno will give you more detailed information, but we always park in one of the multistory carparks, of which there seem to be a good few, in the centre anyway.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Cork

Not sure exactly what your parking needs are (overnight, long term, in the city center, outskirts) but if you are just needing to park during the day to visit the city you can park outside the town say on the Carrigaline Straight and take a bus in or in one of the aforementioned Multi-store structures. I opt for the one on Merchant's Quay as it is very central for shopping but the one off Paul's street is okay too.

Fife, Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Cork

I would like to visit the museum and also the English market - probably on different days though due to the timings of our flights in and out, and also because we intend to fit in a trip to Blarney as well. We arrive Monday afternoon so I was going to head straight into the city centre then just for a general look around and get our bearings, Tuesday morning I had earmarked for Blarney castle and the woollen mill, Tuesday afternoon for the museum in Cork and Wednesday morning for the market. We fly out Wednesday afternoon. So you see we will be in and out of Cork each day.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Cork

Not sure which direction you will be coming from as you head into town but I would head for the Merchant's Quay Parking aka Roches Stores. It tends to fill up faster than the others but I would still give it a try. For the museum the next day, it is outside the city center as it were on the Mardyke in a quiet area and should have its own parking. It is just a short walk into town though. For the English Market, there is parking next door on Grand Parade. There is also parking down the street on the far corner of the Grand Parade and South Mall under a wee alley that was/is privately run and they always seem to be able to squeeze in an extra car.

Might I suggest you take the bus into town though. The city tends to get busy, parking tends to fill up and the one way system gets confusing for those not familiar with it. The various maps on this link http://parking.corkcity.ie/ will give you a fair idea of what you have to deal with in getting to each of the parking structures. Let us know where you will be staying and we (Bryno where are you?) can let you know the best bus option.

Fife, Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Cork

Thanks for that web link about the car parks - that's really useful. I am a bit embarassed to say where we are staying because I booked it before reading any reviews about it. I was having problems finding a family room within budget in the city centre, so in the end I booked the Travelodge at the airport. We often stay as a family in Travelodges in the UK and they have always been OK. Though they are basic and have no character, we are usually out all day and evening so just need a bed to fall into at the end of the day. If I had known about trip advisor before I'd booked it, I would have made more effort to find a hotel room in the city centre having read the reviews here for the Travelodge!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Cork

Sorry only saw this now. Try and change the Travelodge if you can. It's not just the fact that it's a travelodge, it's the location - dreadful. It's basically at a large roundabout, with a petrol station and an industrial estate to keep you company. Fine for one overnight if you need to be near(ish) the airport but not for a few nights - ughh.

If you do stay there, be aware that less than quarter of a mile away is the Black Ash park and ride. Where you can drive to, leave your car securely and take the bus into the city centre. About the same price as bringing the car to city and parking it there for a few hours.

However if you can get accomm right in city centre - better still.

I wrote something on the parking situation last year, I'll try and find it.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Cork

No, I can't find that post unfortunately, as already mentioned there are quite a few multistorey car parks dotted around the city. They are expensive enough but at least they are very secure.

Try and use the Park and ride, a great service and last year I do believe it was €5 to park your car and included the return trip on the bus to the city for all occupants!! You can confirm that for us if you do use it.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Cork

Thanks Bryno.

Yes, the park and ride website is still quoting 5 euro for parking and return bus but I didn't mention it as I was still unsure where the OP was staying. Do they still run one (park and ride) from the Carrigaline Straight too?

UK
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Cork

I'm over later in April, staying outside Cork but expecting to spend a couple of days out in the city. I've been recommended by my family to use the Park and Ride somewhere near the airport(?) to avoid the hassle of finding my way around the city centre by car. Unfortunately, when I tried the Cork parking link above the Park and Ride option was 'not found'. Could anyone give me the proper address or another link?

I could ask Dad for directions but fear it would there would be a long tale with many anecdotes and hope you guys can give me something a little more concise! We've got SatNav and have downloaded the maps for Ireland.

Many thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in Cork

I don't have a link handy however the official name of the Park and ride near the airport (2 miles) is Black Ash Park and ride, it owes it's name to the area on which it is situated.

When you drive down to the bottom of the airport hill you will come to a large junction and roundabout with lots of traffic lights going east, south and west. DO NOT PANIC, even though this place is affectionately known as the 'magic roundabout' !! Just follow the signs for City centre and then after about 1 minute driving you will see the entrance to the park and ride on the left. It is signposted, but keep your eyes peeled - blink and you'll miss it !! Good luck and enjoy.

Get answers to your questions about Cork