We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Famous folk from Cork

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Famous folk from Cork

While looking into my family history (or trying to) in County Cork and Mayo, I saw that Jonathen Rhys Meyers is from Cork (YOWZZA!!!) and was wondering if there were any other "famous" residents?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Jeremy Irons lives in a castle somewhere near Ballydebob in West Cork.

One of the most famous residents of Co. Mayo was Heinrich Böll, German author. He rented a cottage on Achill Island. It is now a retreat for writers. His "Irish Diary" was written in the 50s and is very much outdated now but must still to this day remain one of the most insightful journeys into the Irish psyche and landscape of the time.

West Cork
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Michael Flatley lives in Cork (Fermoy, I think) Also Cillian Murphy is a Corkman (dunno if he lives there, however). I'm sure there are many more from Cork that I can't think of right now.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Sonia O'Sullivan is one of Irelands most famous runners and is from Cork. She has won Olympic, World and European Championship medals.

Roy Keane is from Cork. He is a former captain of Manchester United Football Club(one of the biggest in the world) and is the most successful(won most trophies) captain in the history of that club. He has also captained the Republic of Ireland team.

Michael Collins is from Cork. He was one of the leaders of the 1916 Rising and also negotiated the Anglo-Irish Agreement with the British which led to the formation of the Irish Free State being formed.

Rory Gallagher was a famous Rock/Blues guitar player. Although born in Donegal he grew up in Cork and lived most of his life there.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Famous folk from Cork

William Ford (Henry's dad), Jack Lynch, Graham Norton, Bryno & my grand father.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Btw Clauds, I read an article a few months ago about that writer, it pinned the affair between German tourists and the ideology in that book - spoke of tourists arriving with worn copies.

Frank O'Connor (I think) and O'Gara.

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Maybe I am related to Frank O'Connor - thats my maiden name (arent there about 2 million O'Connors in Ireland :~D I cant wait until I get there and see Cork for myself!!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Yep ferdia, Böll has some kind of influence over German tourists.

I remember reading the "Irish Journal" (sorry, made a mistake in my earlier post) in class (had the book hidden under the desk) and burst out laughing at something or other. The teacher asked me what was so funny and what was that thing under my desk. I had to stand up and show my copy of Böll's book. I got away with it. The teacher said that if I had to be disrespectful to her I might as well be disrespectful with a respected author.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Clauds, the only exposure that we were given to German literature was Siegfied Lenz (sp?) Short stories for the leaving cert - you'd certainly need a dose of the happy pills after reading some of these pieces.

:)

Wonder if he read Peig???

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Mary Robinson,former President of Ireland is from Ballina, Co.Mayo.

Admiral William Brown founder of the Argentinean Navy was born in Foxford Co.Mayo.

Cork is famous for some very cute looking hurlers ;-)

England
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Famous folk from Cork

Many of the Munster rugby team the best team in Europe at the momment are from Cork

Get answers to your questions about County Cork