We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

Making my first trip to Ireland in September. We will stop in Nohoval on our way to Cork City coming from Killarney. My grandfather was born in Nohoval. The family resided in the Old Rectory (acquired from the Church Body in lieu of payment for work done). This Old Rectory is now know as a Gallaun Forge. What is a Gallaun Forge? Would love to see where he lived as well the Tower of the Church of Ireland, which he worked on as a builder, but can't find the meaning of a Gallaun Forge. As always, thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
The Church
The Church
4,461 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
6 replies to this topic
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

Apparently, a Gallaun (Dallaun) is a single standing stone of Megalithic origin:

'The Gallaun, or Dallaun as it is sometimes written, is a single upright stone of Megalithic origin, and very often of limestone'.

ballingearyhs.com/journal2002/whats_ina_name…

libraryireland.com/WestCorkHistory/PillarSto…

www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp…

www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp…

From 1837, the rectory and some of its occupants are mentioned here:

libraryireland.com/topog/N/Nohoval-Kinnalea-…

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/tree/scrapbooks/6B02.pdf

Edited: 30 July 2017, 19:57
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

The Glebe House in Novohal is mentioned in some the documents above:

http://tinyurl.com/ybxxm8e8

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

Thank you both. I am going to have to do some research to see if the Glebe House is where my grandfather lived as a child. He was born in 1875. His father, Denis Dennehy, was a builder and the documents I have say that "his workmanship survives to this day in Nohoval where the Tower of the Church of Ireland still stands regally." My grandfather was one of 12, and his father Denis was given the Old Rectory as payment for work done..I wonder if there was an "Old Rectory" before the Glebe house and that is where they lived. Lots of research to do. Thanks again'

Mentioned in this post
The Church
The Church
4,461 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

Nohoval Church of Ireland Parish was merged with Crosshaven and Tracton into the parish of Templebreedy.

http://templebreedy.cork.anglican.org/

Your best bet may be to contact the parish and see what they know or whether they can put you in touch with someone familiar with the history of the parish.

As an aside, Nohoval is quite difficult to locate. Coming from the Kinsale side, the easiest is to take the first right hand turn after you've crossed the two bridges a couple of km out in the direction of Cork. This leads you straight to Nohoval, but be aware that there is a horrible hairpin band on the road that is difficult to manoeuvre in anything bigger than a hatchback. Coming from Carrigaline, follow the Kinsale road out, until you pass a closed petrol station on the left hand side. Take the first left after it. If you're coming from the Kinsale side and want to avoid the hairpin, follow the Carrigaline road in Belgooly and try to look for signposts.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Carrigaline
Carrigaline
County Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

If you've not gone yet, I know that John Lehane runs Gallaun Forge, and he did the lighting in O'Connaill's Chocolate in Cork City, which is amazing, and worth a visit for that alone (the hot chocolate is incredible too!!)

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g…

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval

My grannie retired there in the 1970's. She was the widow of a Church of Ireland minister. Did you manage stay in the rectory?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Reply to: Old Rectory Church of Ireland, Nohoval
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;