We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Ennis

Fishkill, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Ennis

We are staying in Ennis for the last 2 nights of our 2 week vacation in Ireland. We will have a rental car and welcome suggestions for possible day trips. We don't mind drving an hour or more to see something spectacular. Our prior stops are Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny and Killarney. We appreciate any help you can offer.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,462 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Ennis

1. Drive into Bunratty, visit the Castle and Folk Park

2. Drive in the motorway/dual carriageway and take the tunnel, heading over to Adare www.adarevillage.com

3. Drive to Kilimer, get the ferry over to Kerry and visit Foynes Irish Coffee and Flying Boat Museum www.shannonferries.com www.flyingboatmuseum.com

4. Drive to Lahinch, the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren

5. Day trip to Galway

If you go to the local tourist office and get a copy of the booklet "Your Daily Adventure" you will find lots more ideas.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Ennis

Don't forget Ennis itself - a short walking tour here:

clare.ie/activities/view/day_tours_amp_tour_…

Another Day Trip option is East Co Clare:

http://www.visitclare.net/attractions.php

Or, Lough Gur, if Archaeology/History are of interest to you:

http://www.loughgur.com/

This will help you with distances, although extra time should be added for real world conditions: 10%-15%, conservatively:

http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes%5Fbeta/

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,357 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Ennis

Some good options in this recent thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186595-i1766-k455…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,946 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Ennis

This forum for a week in Bunratty should give enough ideas for 2 days

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g212526-i2381-k4364…

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Ennis

Well I think the other posters have pretty much got everything covered.

Do not miss the Burren and Cliffs of Moher though, it is definitely worth spending one of your days driving around and enjoying the scenery.

If you need any ideas of where to eat during your stay in Ennis, feel free to ask.

Fishkill, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Ennis

Thank you all so much. I will definitely check out all of your suggestions. Bannergirl, I would love suggestions on places to eat. By this time in our trip, we probably won't want anything too upscale. We like a fun atmosphere probably good pub food.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,946 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Ennis

Good Pub + Food = Brogans.... 2nd choice possibly Poets Corner in the Old Ground.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Ennis

Yeah, the Poet's Corner does pretty decent food and is one of my favourites for bar food.

Brogan's is quite popular as Tony says.

I guess if you are doing day trips, you will probably eat while you are touring around the coast.

There will be no shortage of restaurants all along the coast from Ballyvaughan to Lahinch and further on.

Most of the restaurants in Ennis are doing very good value early bird menus, so you might not have to restrict yourself to bar food.

One of my favourites at the moment is the Dining Room at the top of the Market area(they do quite good value for 2 courses)

You will be spoilt for choice both in Ennis and up the coast.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 23:04
9. Re: Day trips from Ennis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Ennis