We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide on location!

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can't decide on location!

I have 4 nights in July, flying to/from Shannon. We plan on 2 days in the Burren, 1 on Inishmore and another for Cliffs of Moher. To minimize hassle, I want to stay at one place.

I can't decide between Doolin, Lahinch (Vaughn lodge maybe), Spanish Point (Armada Inn maybe), Lisdoonvarna (Sheedy's maybe), or Kilfenora...

I have never driven on the left...so I'd like to minimize time on the road. My perfect choice would be a more modern room with a view, plus be able to walk down the street to a traditional pub.

I'm about to just flip a coin! Any advice would be appreciated!

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
622 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide on location!

Can I make another suggestion and add the village of Fanore....only twenty minutes drive from Aran ferries in Doolin....half a mile to the local pub and restaurant,shop etc and fantastic views of the Atlantic Ocean in front and the Burren hills at the rear.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,757 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide on location!

To be honest the longest amount of time i would spend at the Cliffs even if I had never been before would be 2 hours before terminal boredom set in.

I would also consider the ferry from Ros rather than Doolin for Inishmore unless it is a really good day. That might put Kinvara into the mix?

Do not be scared of driving. The implication that it is totally terrifying is a nasty rumour put about by nervous Americans and a particularly clueless guide book author.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide on location!

Thanks, I'll take a look at Fanore.

Thanks tony2phones, I figured that so planned the cliffs on the same day I fly into SNN after visiting Bunratty.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't decide on location!

So...no comments for Lahinch versus Lisdoonvarna?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,757 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide on location!

You can drive past the Cliffs from the Airport but if you take my advice for Innismór taking 40 mins ferry from Rossaveal (8 min flight from Inveran) rather than 90 min ferry from Doolin then you might consider Galway, Salthill or Spiddal as better options. It depends what else you are planning and what you envisage for the other 2 days.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,669 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide on location!

You might want to do a bit of research on the ferries in Doolin and Rossaveel. My research convinced me that Aran Island Ferries out of Rossaveel would be a better choice than the ones out of Doolin because 1) they were much less likely to be cancelled due to weather and 2) the travel time was so much shorter, giving you more time to actually spend on Inishmore.

I also like the idea of staying in Kinvara. We stayed there the night after we went to Inishmore and it was not a long drive there from Rossaveel. We stayed in a nice B&B outside of town, but I'm sure you could find something in town. Kinvara has a lot of nice shops, restaurants and pubs. While Kinvara is not located in County Clare, it is very close to the Burren and it would not take long to get to various sites in the Burren.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't decide on location!

Hi Ramius, it is difficult to make a recommendation as to which of your suggestions would be best as they all have their good points.

You mentioned a room with a view but Lisdoonvarna is more inland despite being a short drive from the coast. There would certainly be a good selection of pubs in the town and Sheedy's gets very good reviews.

The views from some of the rooms in the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point are spectacular, but it is not actually in town and you would have very long enough walk in to Miltown Malbay for a drink at a local pub.

Lahinch has a very good selection of pubs within walking distance of Vaughan Lodge and is close enough to the Cliffs of Moher as well. The town can get quite busy during the Summer, though.

Each of your suggestions has a lot going for it, so I don't think you will be disappointed in whatever you choose.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 22:55
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't decide on location!

Just when I thought I researched everything...I forgot about the length of the ferries to the islands... Thanks so much! I'll factor that into my decision as well.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,757 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't decide on location!

An extra 50 mins in a smallish ferry might be a pleasant experience on a nice bright calm day but if the tide is running or the wind is blowing it could be an extra hour with green gills. I might be tempted to take a cliffs cruise from Doolin to see the Cliffs from the sea rather than behind a 3ft wall up to 10ft back from the edge. You cant look down to the sea from the top but they are fairly special looking up from the sea.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't decide on location!

You are spot on about the ferries from Doolin, majority of the reviews include getting nauseous from such a long ride. However since I want to keep Inis Mor in the trip, I'm looking at the other ferry location you mention or also the 10min flight!

Both of those options are making me think of staying in Galway (or Kinvara as mentioned above) for 2 out of the 4 nights. Then the other 2 in Lisdoonvarna.