We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet friendly long term stay

ATL
4 posts
Save Topic
Pet friendly long term stay

My husband is being relocated to Shannon in March and I am trying to find a hotel that is pet friendly. We will be traveling with our 2 sons (8 & 9) and our large dog. We will need somewhere within reasonable commuting to the airport (within 30 minutes)and would prefer a suite. Any suggestions? I am going crazy searching online!!!!

kerry
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

How about The Travelodge in Limerick? It's thirty minutes at most from the airport and allows pets.

http://www.travelodgelimerick.com

You could also try The Red House, a self-catering house in Lahinch but that would be further away, say about an hour's drive. I found it on the ISPCA website:

http://www.ispca.ie/holidays/index.html

West Cork
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

You didn't mention how long you'd be in Ireland, but would you consider self catering accommodation? You can look into renting a house with all of the necessities like linens and kitchenware. I'm not sure about the dog issue however. If you are planning to live in Ireland with your dog, have you already looked into the laws here on that issue? I'm pretty sure that you need to have a minimum of 6 months in advance to get the process started for your pet- it's not that simple as just putting the animal on a plane. If this is just a short term stay, it would be much less stressful on the dog to leave him behind with friends. For locations, anywhere near Limerick City and parts of Clare might suit you. Shannon town itself isn't all that impressive, however.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,646 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

You need to get your pet a pet passport and up to date vaccinations to bring your pet over

www.ispca.ie/content/pet-passports.html

This will take time.

I personally don't think that the Travel Lodge is suitable for the long-term (i.e. longer than an overnight) accommodation of a large dog. I think you would be better approaching a friendly B&B owner.

If your husband is being relocated, I also think you need to look at schooling for your sons. Either Ennis or Limerick City would be within range of Shannon.

There are some good schools in Shannon but the town itself isn't glamorous. There is an excellent boy's school on the Shannon side of Limerick City and it feeds into a very good boys secondary school.

I don't know about schools in Ennis.

If you wish to PM me about Limerick schools, feel free to do so.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp…

Have a look at this government site, apparently you are coming from a qualifying country, but there is a minimum of six months wait - maybe you already have this worked out, but if not, there's really no chance.

ATL
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

We will be Ireland for at least 2 years and are looking for long term rentals, but our things will not be there for at least 6 weeks. That is why I am looking for a short term stay (30-60 days).

As for quarantine we have already completed the process (and WHAT a process it is!!) so he will not have to stay in quarantine. I can't do a self catering accomodation for the short term - they won't reimburse for that...strange :) Thanks for the help - I really appreciate your time!

You didn't mention how long you'd be in Ireland, but would you consider self catering accommodation? You can look into renting a house with all of the necessities like linens and kitchenware. I'm not sure about the dog issue however. If you are planning to live in Ireland with your dog, have you already looked into the laws here on that issue? I'm pretty sure that you need to have a minimum of 6 months in advance to get the process started for your pet- it's not that simple as just putting the animal on a plane. If this is just a short term stay, it would be much less stressful on the dog to leave him behind with friends. For locations, anywhere near Limerick City and parts of Clare might suit you. Shannon town itself isn't all that impressive, however.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

2rotten4u. There are alot of resources in Shannon for children in the Shannon region, and to get you started, take a look at spending a short stay in either

dreamireland.com/site/Castle_Gardens_at_Bunr…

rentacottage.ie/holiday-homes/cottages/clare…

This will have you on location within 10 minutes.

Despite the lack of glamour (!) there are some great resources for children in the Shannon/Bunratty area (2 of mine are in the same age bracket) - while the national schools in Shannon town have a long/proficient history of intake from abroad (due to the nature of the town)- possibly giving an edge of instant intergration?

clarelibrary.ie/eolas/…schools_in_shannon.htm

If you are looking at Shannon, consider St Aidans or St Conaires NS - smaller rural schools (from experience) can prove to be a major culture shock.

Any other info - let me know.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

2rotten, I am going a bit off track here, but wow, what a great opportunity for your family! I hope everyone is looking forward to the experience though I am sure your sons may not think of it as quite the great experience now with the moving and such. If they don't now, someday they will look back and think WOW, that was great!

I need to find a company like that to work for (since I am currently searching...and would LOVE moving to Ireland). I too have a large dog and was VERY happy when Ireland put the US on the list to exempt the 6 month quarantine if you had completed the steps for entry of the pups!

Sorry that I can't help with lodging for your family, but you are in the right place here on TA! Good luck!

8. Re: Pet friendly long term stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 19:19