We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

I thought I would take part in a guided tour from Dublin to Bunratty and then do some travelling on my own (thinking I will be more comfortable by then), but wondering which places I should make sure to see. Rock of Cashel or Glendalough, (one is on one tour the other is on a second), and is it too much to see Cliffs of Moher (which is on both tours), Dun Aengus, and Slieve League or should i choose Monasterboice, Bruna Boinne, and Tara as a day trip from Dublin instead of maybe Glendalough. (or should i go to Clonmacnoise?) I know I can't do it all, but do want to go to Donegal castle as my great -grandmother was an O'Donnell so Slieve League would be right there and not as touristy I hear. Which should i prioritize??? I don't want to be too touristy although my boyfriend insists we go to Blarney. It is on both tours as well as Ring of Kerry. I would like to see ruins, Celtic cementaries, castles and cliffs. Thank you for your advice!!!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Bunratty
Bunratty
County Clare, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,377 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
The Glendalough Hotel
The Glendalough Hotel
605 Reviews
Glendalough Village, Ireland
Slieve League
Slieve League
1,247 Reviews
Carrick, Ireland
Clonmacnoise
Clonmacnoise
839 Reviews
County Offaly, Ireland
Donegal Castle
Donegal Castle
957 Reviews
Donegal Town, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,777 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

Good for you.

Come and enjoy.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

Sorry, but I find your post a bit confusing! What time of year, and for how long do you plan to visit Ireland?

And what duration are the tours you mention (ie how many days, and where do they start and finish : Dublin?)

Do you intend to rent a car to travel around after the tour, or use public transport?

If you can give us more information, we'll be better aided to answer your query!

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

I can't even imagine how Dun Aengus is visitable on a day trip from Dublin, unless you spend most of the day travelling for a very short visit to the site itself.

I think it sounds like you may need more than one base for the things you want to see in Ireland. The places you want to see in Donegal and Galway would really benefit from overnighting in those areas.

Blarney is quite doable as a day trip from Dublin without needing a tour, but it won't occupy your whole day without adding somewhere else in the area. Get the early train to Cork and the bus out to Blarney. Then in the afternoon, you can look around Cork City, Cobh or visit the distillery in Midleton.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Cobh
Cobh
County Cork, Ireland
Midleton
Midleton
County Cork, Ireland
Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

Depending on transport and how much time you have it might be better to just stick with one half of the country above or below a line from Dublin to Galway. Donegal and Slieve League are in the north-west of the country and cannot easily be part of a tour or day trip. There are other attractions on the way such as Enniskillen castle (Maguire clan) which is well worth visiting, monastic Devenish Island and the city of Derry/Londonderry one of the most historic places in Ireland. Giants Causeway and Dunluce castle together with Belfast for the Titanic exhibition is also worth a visit and far more interesting in my opinion than either Bunratty or Blarney

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Slieve League
Slieve League
1,247 Reviews
Carrick, Ireland
Enniskillen Castle
Enniskillen Castle
356 Reviews
Enniskillen, UK
Devenish Island
Devenish Island
76 Reviews
Irvinestown, UK
Derry
Derry
County Londonderry, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,098 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Dunluce Castle
Dunluce Castle
2,228 Reviews
Portrush, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Bunratty
Bunratty
County Clare, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

Don't worry, all of the places you mention are worth seeing. Prioritise your trip based on your must sees some of which you have already mentioned and go with the itinerary that matches them best.

6. Re: Help on choosing best sites in Ireland to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18