We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on the carry on?

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Carry on the carry on?

There are some previous threads about carry ons, but I am not sure they match the current regulations.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k50304…

I can get everything for our 17 day trip into two carryons (21.5 x 15.5 x 9.5 in) and two midget 'personal items' (13 x 10 x 8). But it is a real squeeze, and took merciless thinning of our stuff.

I am thnking it might not be too awful to check one bag. Maybe unzip that expansion and put back a couple items. Divide our clothes so we can proceed if bag is lost. Add a cloth carryon bag for the return flight and plan to check two bags on the way back.

Is skipping baggage claim worth it?

Stories and wisdom, please?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,184 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry on the carry on?

Call me spoiled lol. It's one thing for me to do just carryon for a 3 nighter hre in the States. But when I'm gone a week or more I want that pair of hiking boots along even if I don't use them. And that second jacket, and a fresh shirt for every day. None of this stuff is a "need" for the most part. It's more of a "want". But for the price of 20 minutes in bag claim, it's worth it to me.

Edit: Forgot the part about bringing toiletries and not worrying about what size they are.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 19:03
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry on the carry on?

Seems each person should check the precise details of the airline with which they've booked their flight. This is the only link I could find to a sort of overall summary for a small selection of airlines:

carlsonwagonlit.com/export/…baggage.pdf

It appears that if more than one airline is involved, you have to go by the allowances of the stingiest one. Even then, things can go awry:

elliott.org/blog/…

elliott.org/blog/…

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry on the carry on?

I'm typically a light packer but wearing my coat and boots and dragging multiple prone-to-topple items from one end of O'Hare to the other doesn't sound like fun.

We'll check two bags and take enough in our carry-on bags to get by for a day, if needed. So we'll be gracious and leave a little more room in the overhead bins for the people wearing half their travel clothes onto the plane.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry on the carry on?

Remember in addition to the size and number of bags onboard rules, you must also play the status game. Your status with the airline and/or status on the flight if a premium passenger will give you early boarding and therefore early access to luggage storage. Many times you will see people who board last who cannot find a place to store their bags...or the bags are too large for the space remaining. In these cases the airlines can either "gate check" your bag, which means you get it back at the plane exit door when leaving the plane. Or, they can check into luggage and send you to the luggage claim. When flying on an international flight, the delay for bags is not the issue...those delays usually come from immigration and customs.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry on the carry on?

rpmason, I hope you are on our flight out of OHare and do leave stowing space for us!

The sizes I posted are current and from Aer Lingus. Eddie, excellent point that there may not be room left even if we meet allowances since we will likrely be last to board with our lowly status. That would be frustrating: whittle to carry on volume and end up checked anyway. Bummer.

I think the sanest & safest thing is to split our clothing and check one small bag that would include half the clothes and toiletries - whatever we can easily replace or do without for a while. That bag is just a hair over carry on size. Keep the other carry on case, the one with more important clothing, e.g. hiking boots, with us -- or try to. Our hiking backpack expanded is about 17 x 14 x 9 so that can count as our other carry on. I just happily discovered we have a canvas cooler that is 'personal item' sized so will be husband's 'man bag', holding meds, spare eyeglasses, GPS, Nook, chargers, phone and any other essentials. Itinerary & tablet go in my little bag. I do think that'll work. I'll bring a couple tote bags to free up the coooler & redistribute stuff upon getting the car. Be nice to neeed just one carry on for the one night B&Bs.

Anyone know what specific size bags do/don't fit in smaller car boots?

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry on the carry on?

celticcook, we'll gladly give you our extra overhead space. We are on a regional jet to O'Hare so their carry-on limits are necessarily even smaller than Aer Lingus'. We will be 6 rows from the last row on Aer Lingus. Our checked bags may beat us to the carousel.

Another thing to consider is the older hotel or two story B&B. Nothing like hefting a 50-lb. bag up a flight of stairs. Did that in Montana a couple years ago. Going down wasn't much easier. Sigh.

So I'm checking two normally considered carry-on bags and two underseat bags with the essentials (electonics, meds, personal items, a change of clothes... and an OSI map if they publish the new version soon). I expect that there will be room for our newly purchased treasures on our return trip.

Canvas cooler is good idea for the car, as is the totes. I remember on another thread that buying local branded ones make great presents. Might have to do that rather than bring my own.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry on the carry on?

I travel for work and I have learned that "to check or not to check" is not the question...it's what are you going to do with it once you're there. Think about what a pain it's going to be to drag multiple bags in and out of b&bs, up and down stairs (like another poster said) or to have to cram it into your car and then sit around it during your two hour car rides. You don't want to waste any prescious vacation time with your massive checked bag. I like one posters suggestion of bringing carry on size luggage, but check it if you're worried about status/overhead space. You also get one personal item, so bring a small tote and bring a little purse to put inside. I LOVE the idea of bringing a canvas cooler that can do double duty as a tote on the plane and as a lunch container for the car rides...I think I have a 31 bag that will do just that for us in August.

Just a little tip from someone who has learned to hate any luggage bigger than a carry on- (I can fit one weeks worth of clothes into a small bag easy)- so you can take it or leave it!

Edit: and OF COURSE check the luggage requirements before packing anything!

Edited: 08 July 2013, 04:18
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry on the carry on?

If you are SERIOUS about traveling light (I am) then this is an excellent site for you.

http://www.onebag.com/

I have a RED OXX Air Boss and a RED OXX Gator. The Air Boss fits carry on requirements and the Gator, personal bag requirements. (Check the airline you are on, especially regional flights.) My wife and I travel with about one weeks worth of clothes. We use laundry facilities each week--not the kind like in the US where you do it yourself and waste hours at the laundromat--but the kind where you drop off your clothes in the AM and pick them up, all done and nicely folded at the end of the day.) My bigger concern with the luggage isn't the time waiting for checked luggage--but whether it will fit in the boot of the car. European cars are smaller than US and I don't like my luggage in plain sight on the back seat. The luggage I see some Americans take to Ireland wouldn't fit in some American car trunks!! Also we always stay in B&Bs and seldom on the ground floor. Try lugging multiple, big, heavy cases up some of those stairs!!

Back to the onebag website---if you are really serious about traveling light, you can spend HOURS on that site and all the related sites given. If you aren't, you'll lightly gloss over it and declare that no one can travel like that!! Not so--you CAN!!

Enjoy the site.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry on the carry on?

kilted, that looks like a site with some good ideas. I'll try to see if I can figure out the bundle wrapping instead of folding on my local trip next week.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry on the carry on?

next trip, PG, i'll have one check bag with room left over, and my trusty back pack...i'm with irishfan on this...if it was a 3 nighter that would be different....i'd be a nervous wreck worrying if by the time I get to board, with my economy ticket, there wouldn't be any room left in the over head for my luggage and that would mean med's out of my possession...not worth the worry....not to mention, I know I am weak, and I will be buying things to bring home, couldn't do that if I took a carry on stuffed to the max....