We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Value added tax

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Value added tax

I went to Ireland in May, 2012. I took care of all the tax forms for my purchases at the Dublin airport between the representative and the kiosk I was directed to. On my August credit card bill I was credited for three different transactions but there was also a charge for an "unreturned sales tax form Kerry" for $14.82. While this is not a large sum, I don't understand the charge. I attempted to get an answer via 3 calls to my credit card company and an hour later talking to reps in the Phillipines I was too frustrated to continue the investigation.

Does anyone have an explanation for why I would be charged for this months after my trip and what it would be for? I thought all taxes were paid when I made the purchases and I was just owed some VAT reimbursement for purchases.

80 replies to this topic
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Value added tax

That doesn't make sense! I got the Fexco card at Guinness, and it wasn't accepted anywhere else, but we didn't bother getting our VAT refund and still got dinged!

Lesson learned here is not to bother taking the Fexco card if you're offered it because no one else accepts it in Dublin and you'll get dinged!

Middleburg
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Value added tax

My daughter went to Ireland and used my Capital one card. It was a university student trip and their teacher told them not to worry about filing for a refund for VAT that it wasn't worth it. Today I have just noticed 2 charges totaling $37.68 from UNRTRND sales tax form Spiddal. My daughter did not get any refund, how can that be? She charged a total of about 300 in Ireland, most was fro food!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Value added tax

The links that AnniiL and Uasal posted above I'm personally finding have been quite helpful in reading. We knew of some basic and general info about VAT and refunds, but hadn't delved into the ins and outs of the process should we decide to even pursue it during our vacation.

dochara.com/tour/…

(Be sure to read comments that follow on this page from folks that have experienced the same questions)

and

revenue.ie/en/…section8

Very helpful. Thanks for the links.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Value added tax

These might be useful too, although likely a lot of duplication of material:

https://www.shoptaxfree.com/tourists/faqs/

citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreat…

…about.com/od/shopping/qt/ireland_vat.htm

Tipperary
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Value added tax

The same thing has happened to me- three purchases- 3 charges and they are being deducted 9 weeks after purchase. Recommendation- do not take the sales pitch to receive this card. I did return it to the kiosk at Dublin airport- it seems to have made no difference. This seems to

be a money making racket for FEXCO

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Value added tax

I just went to the vat booth, gave them my paper receipts, and my fexco card, which they swiped.....then a few months later I got all of my money credited back to my card.....is it possible a receipt was lost?......the term used plainly indicates an "unreturned tax form"........not a processing fee at all.....

Tipperary
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Value added tax

The booth was unmanned in my case- I put the card into an envelope- did not give the receipts as I did not see an instruction to do so. I had not paid the full VAT at point of purchase as this was the advice from the store.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Value added tax

The link given in reply #2 dochara.com/tour/… explains the system pretty clearly. If you buy something using the Fexco card or similar then you are not paying VAT - if you don't return the forms as required to prove exemption then you will be charged the VAT later to your credit card. So apart from the processing fee you are not being ripped off, just paying the VAT you should have paid anyway. If you can't be bothered to read and follow the requirements then don't bother with the scheme.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Value added tax

ah ha...there is a machine to swipe the card but you keep the card..then there is a slot to put completed paper forms along with the receipts in the envelope one or more of the vendors will have offered.....I've done that too and got my refunds....therefore if your card company reversed the charges you cheated Ireland out of their taxes.....

sounds like a misunderstanding...sadly if you didn't do that, as oslo said, it's only paying the taxes you wouldn't have been charged for at the time of purchases....

Belleville...
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Value added tax

We visited the Republic of Ireland (south) in august and my credit card was nailed for $47.09 and $26.49 and these amounts make up 2/3 of the cost of the product I bought so I would agree that this is a major scam. Why not just pay the VAT tax and be done with it.

This is about the 6th thing that soured my impression of the Republic of Ireland. I intend to keep my visits to the north of Ireland and fly through Glasgow next trip. I have no desire to return to Dublin or any other spot in the Republic.

Reply to: Value added tax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted