We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a car rental company? I have looked at many on the internet and am confused and clueless as to which ones are reputable and which ones aren't. Help!

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

I have used auto europe on two occassions and have been completely satisified.Although I have never used them I know people who like Nova.

www.autoeurope.com

www.rentacar-worldwide.com

Pat

Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

nova are an agency and your car may actually belojng to either budget or europcar or another company.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Actually autoeurope is also.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

I checked all the major companies when I was searching. I'd finally narrowed it down to Irish Car Rentals, but decided to check Nova's site. Nova's was quite a bit cheaper, and still including everything but the excess insurance. When I booked the car I was told by Nova that the rental was through Irish Car Rentals. So I saved quite a bit of money and the car is actually being provided by the same company I'd originally planned to use.

Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

I've looked at Irish Car, Nova, and Auto Europe(whose mailing address is Maine!), I've also looked at Avis, Alamo, Budget, etc. My concern/question is why are Irish Car, Nova and Auto Europe so much cheaper than the big name companies. I've checked and rechecked and made my husband check again and can't find the difference. Any ideas why these companies are less than 1/2 the price of the big names?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,825 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

bkrusen, i think the difference in price is because they know a lot of us yanks will check with them from home, and hopefully never check the others...lol...

none of them are cheap anymore...in fact in 2 years the prices of rental cars have more than doubled and tripled in some cases...in 2002 i rented an automatic, the smallest one, for $410 u.s., now that same car, even with the irish companies, can be over $1200 for the same time of year, same car, and the sames number of days (18)....so go figure.. i think they all do it because they can....

you also might check with argus...i used them last year and even with the super cdw i got it for about $500 for 18 days...

happy travels....

lookout, mountain!
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

I looked at argus a week or so ago and their super cdw has gone WAY up from what it used to be. Now 17 per day or something, vs 2 or 4 or whatever it used to be. Nova was the best overall for our 7 days.

M

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

I believe the reason Nova and Eurocar are so much cheaper is because they are consolidators; they deal in volume, acting as agents with all the car rental companies. You could book through Nova or Eurocar, and when you get the booking confirmed you'll see that you're actually renting the car from Avis, Budget, Argus, Irish Car Rental, Hertz or any number of other major rental companies.

For instance, I've booked a MPV 5 seat for 24 days in June. When I checked with Irish Car Rental, (and many others), the price was over 1000EU, and with some companies there were still fees & taxes to be added to that total. The price with Nova was 730EU. When I confirmed the booking with Nova I was told that the company actually leasing me the car would be Irish Car Rentals! After I confirmed the booking I went back to Irish Car Rentals site and their online quote was still over 1000EU.

I checked the fine print on Nova's contract and the only things not covered were the excess (or Super CDW) insurance, and a fee of 23EU to cover the cost of higher priced roadside assistance while I'm using the car in N. Ireland. The excess insurance, which is optional, at 10EU daily, would've added another 240Euro to my bill. Instead I opted to buy a separate policy, at 55EU, with coverage for a full year....this through a company I read about in these forums, Car Insurance For Hire.

I am mystified as you are by the range of prices, and all the little "extras" that the rental companies sneak in on their contracts, but I that's always been typical of the industry. It just seems to be getting worse.

Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

You play the same games with car rentals in the US also. Between the rental codes, promo codes, discount codes, it's a maze to navigate. When I book rentals in Florida I do it as a game to see how cheap I can get a car for. There is a web site with discount codes for all the US companies, if you try different combinations of codes on different days of the week you can get some great deals. The trick is checking the rate everyday which can be tedious at besat. I find booking 3 weeks out gets you the best rate in Florida but I would never try this in an other country. Between airfare and car rentals I'll never know how they come up with their numbers! Thanks for everyone's insight!

lookout, mountain!
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

I finally called a Nova person and got the story about the excess (super) cdw insurance thing - the excess you can get from the 3rd party insurance (Car Insurance For Hire) is cheaper, about 4 euros per day or so, but you will still have a "hold" put on your credit card for 750-1200 euros, depending on the size auto you get. With this 3rd party insurance, your deductible is zero, so cheaper once your "hold" is cleared off the card.

Getting excess through the car rental company when you get the car reduces your deductible to 100 euros, and this 100 will be the "hold" on your credit card. The cost for this is 11 euros or so per day.

So, Car Insurance For Hire is cheaper, but your card has a significant amount tied up while you have the car, even though you will never actually have to spend it. The other way - with the car rental company - is a bit more expensive, but your card is essentially freed up (100 euro "hold").

Our card is not limitless, by any means, so we chose the more expensive (but not terribly so) route to keep our card freed up while we were there. Your situation may differ, so the hold may not matter so much and it would be almost a third the cost to go the Car Insurance For Hire route.

M