We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

We are lighthouse enthusiasts from the U.S. and recently did a 12 day trip to Ireland, which included an 8 day lighthouse tour. What a wonderful way to see Ireland and the lighthouses that we love. We were a part of the John Eagle Extreme LH Tour in July. We saw over 20 lighthouses and so many beautiful parts of southern Ireland. We spent several days in Dublin, staying at a B & B in Howth. We found the Dart Train very easy to use in the Dublin area. We are very experienced travelers, but this was a first time in Ireland, but are still willing to answer any questions about our great trip to see lighthouses of Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

What an unusual hobby

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

I am really sorry but...

If this had been posted by a first time poster then it would get excessive chastisement as having "Advert" written all over it. You haven't even named the B&B except that it is somewhere in Howth?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

Thanks tony2phones. No, I'm not a first-timer and no ads intended. We simply loved the tour and our great visit to Ireland. The B & B in Howth is the King Sitric. Nice little place right on the waterfront.

Soonas, yup, there are lots of people out there with lots of hobbies. We love the maritime history of the LH's and the always fantastic places and locations for them. We have visited over 275 LH's.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 17:10
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
King Sitric
King Sitric
264 Reviews
Howth, Ireland
Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
874 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

RandBTravel- I love lighthouses too! I haven't visited that many just a few on the east coast of the U.S. I think it is in the blood since most of the men in my fathers family were sailors or watermen.

My ggGrandfather was shipwrecked of the shore of VA and met my ggGrandmother after he was rescued. He immigrated to the US from Norway and was stationed on a Light Ship off the coast of Asseteague Island, VA.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

92 days and counting!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

Kajo50, what a great story. Those Lightship duites were pretty tough jobs. My family is also from Norway.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

Lighthouses, including lighthouse and maritime festivals in addition to shipwreck museums, are a big summertime attraction in Michigan, among other states.

On this map, there are more than 120 lighthouses shown around the shores of Michigan:

michigan.gov/documents/hal_mhc_shpo_lightmap…

On a recent visit to the west of the state, we stopped at probably half a dozen. One provided a re-enactment of how rescues were carried out, back in the day.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

Thanks Uasal, we love Michigan and have seen nearly 100 of the MI LH's. We are members of the Sable Points Lightkeepers Association out of Ludington. We volunteer at Big Sable Point LH everyother year for two weeks.

That's a great map of the MI lights, I printed out a copy to see if I'm missing any.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 22:38
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

What an interesting hobby and a great way of seeing the country too.

I am just curious, but are many of the lighthouses you visit still operational?

Did you get to visit the lighthouse at Loop Head on your trip around Ireland?

Mentioned in this post
Loop Head
Loop Head
299 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
meath
Level Contributor
85 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

There is a wonderful book about all the lighthouses in ireland called bright light white water written by bill long, its informative and entertaining, and great stories and photos. Might be of interest to you, you would probably get it on amazon or other book sites.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fantastic Lighthouse Tour of Southern Ireland

Bannergirl, yes we love seeing many parts of the U.S. and other courtries seeking out LH's. Unfortunately most of the LH's are not "manned" and are instead automated. In the U.S. the LH's are either taken over by a volunteer community group and then maintained that way or they are left to vandalism and the elements. Very sad for such historic maritime monumnets.

Yes, we saw Loop Head LH, very nice LH. We saw well over 20 LH's in southern Ireland including the fabulous Fastnet LH. We also had the chance to sleep in the original keepers quarters at Galley Head LH for two nights. As tiameth already mentioned above, there is a LH book by B. Long. Also, there is a nice book by John Eagle as well with lots of great pictures. You can look at the Comissions of Irish Lights website for tons of info on the LH's in Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Loop Head
Loop Head
299 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Howth Head
Howth Head
1,443 Reviews
Howth, Ireland