We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

Staying with friends in Ennis, then driving to Dingle for 3 nights. They told me to go through Limerick and Adare, but I've read about the ferry.

Which is the best route??

All advice welcome.

Thank you!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

Regular everyday is through the tunnel @ €1.80 rather than the tourist route over the ferry @ €18.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

Through the tunnel is faster and cheaper than the ferry. The ferry is probably only useful if you want to go down to the cliffs at Loop Head. You could also go through Limerick City if it is of interest to you. While going through the city avoids all tolls, you'll probably spend the difference in extra petrol.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

Going by the tunnel will take you through Bunratty and Adare. Taking the ferry will take you through Listowel which is a nice town and less touristy

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

I prefer taking the ferry across the Shannon and driving through Listowel (worth a stop) and Tralee, then along the north coast of Dingle Peninsula and over the Connor Pass.

If you're looking for a scenic drive, then this would be my recommendation.

And you never know, you might see dolphins from the ferry - although I've used it several times and Still have to see them!

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

Thanks very much everyone. I haven't decided what route to take, but might wait and see what the weather is like.

6. Re: Driving from Ennis to Dingle - which route????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 05:17