We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

I'm so confused on the Vat forms versus Fexco card for tax refunds on purchases made in Ireland. Should we be getting a Fexco card and if so, where do we get this? We are leaving for Ireland this Saturday. Any tips or advice on getting tax refunds on purchases is greatly appreciated. I read past posts on the subject but am still confused.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

frommers.com/community/forum.cfm/europe/irel…

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

Most places where I bought stuff you either got a receipt that was all filled out mostly for you, or that Fexco card. There were booths at the airport before you leave that you either drop of the receipts or you can talk to someone there.

Not at all difficult. Also, advice. Cheapest way to get cash is ATM. Also, if you have a credit card that doesn't charge you a foreign transaction fee then make sure they charge you in EUROS! If they charge you in DOLLARS they will upcharge you 3.5%

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,630 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

when you purchase things just tell the seller you want your vat....they'll either give you the card, or ask if you have one already, if that is the way they handle vat...once you get a card if you are offered another just give them the one you have and they just add your vat to it....or they will do as other poster stated, give you a nice long receipt with things for you to fill out.....make sure all of those receipts are completed before departure day.....

when you get to the airport, one line takes the card and registers it for you and gets your credit/debit card information where they will credit your vat...that goes on your account pretty quickly, had mine in 3 days after i returned home...

you take your completed paper receipts to another line and they check to make sure all information is completed and then they'll have the vat from those credited to your card... that takes about a month......

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
191 reviews
4. Re: VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

I wish I had read this thread before my trip. I had the Fexco card and did NOT get my refund.

The office at the airport was closed when I got there (7 am flight), and I ran my Fexco card through the machine. No instructions were given -- it said everything was fine, my refund was complete.

Now 3 months later, I have a charge on my credit card for the VAT tax.

I'm not sure if I should have mailed my receipts in or something, as there was no place to drop them off. Hopefully your flight is taking off when the office is open, and you won't run into the same problem that I did.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
5. Re: VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

Although original poster has been 'n gone, I'm posting my experience with the Fexco card in the hope that it will help future travellers.

I flew from Shannon airport, and used the Fexco machine to process my VAT refund; the desk is located in main departure lounge beyond the shop, once you've gone through security. I swiped the Fexco card, then filled in personal details on the touch screen: name, home address and telephone number, passport number and date of arrival in Ireland. I was then asked to swipe my credit card through the machine and was informed that the refund had been processed and would take between 4-6 weeks to appear on my statement.

I've found Fexco the most efficient form of VAT refund, but unfortunately not all retailers offer it. For me, Dublin airport has been worst of all, as the desk never seems to be staffed, and although there's a small box tucked away in a corner, I've given up hope of receiving VAT refunds from last year!

Edited: 22 August 2012, 11:29
6. Re: VAT refund forms and/or Fexco card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 07:15