We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for things to see in Ireland during our week trip

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
1 post
Save Topic
Looking for things to see in Ireland during our week trip

My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary and we purchased a trip to Ireland which we are staying in several different castles that we will drive to each one. We are flying into Dublin and pick up the car. Then the trip is scheduled to drive to each of the castles which obviously we are free to choose the route to get from one location to the next location. I am looking for input for sites to see and do. Below is the itineary.

Land in Dublin -

1. Drive to Cabra Castle in Kingscourt and spend first night

2. Drive to Kilronan Castle in Roscommon spend second night

3. Drive to Kinnitty Castle in Kinnitty, Offaly spend third and fourth nights

4. Drive to Fitzpatrick Castle in Dublin spend fifth and sixth nights

5. Leave Dublin around noon on the 7 day

My wife and I love to see history and nature . Can any one give me some suggestions off things to see and do along the way? Our trip is at the end of April. Thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for things to see in Ireland during our week trip

The "TOP QUESTIONS" area of the forum would be a good starting point to read about Ireland and what's to see/do.

Given your interest in history, however, I would be sure to research the Heritage Ireland web site and their many sites.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
24,037 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for things to see in Ireland during our week trip

While in Kinnity visit Birr Castle Demesne. www.birrcastle.com It is only a few minutes drive down the road.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for things to see in Ireland during our week trip

We visited wicklow goal a couple of years ago and were very impressed. It gives a great insight into Irish history around the 18th century. http://www.wicklowshistoricgaol.com/ It would be easily reached from Dublin.

Also Wicklow is known as the garden of Ireland. In Boyle in Roscommon you could go to lough key forest park beautiful grounds and some good history. You could also visit king house. http://www.kinghouse.ie/ http://www.loughkey.ie/

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for things to see in Ireland during our week trip

Enroute to Cabra Castle from Dublin you could stop off at Newgrange, Monasterboice or the Boyne battle site. Dun-an-Ri forest park is close by Cabra castle, or you could drive up to the top of the Lough-an-lee mountain situated between Kingscourt and Bailieborough for some outstanding views over the surrounding countryside. Kingscourt is an ancient market town with an old thatched pub 'Cartlans' on the main street.

The direct route from Cabra Castle to Kilronan Castle will bring you across country to Cavan town. Depending on your interests it might be worthwhile to head for Belturbet and cross the border to visit the historic Florencecourt house and gardens which is a National Trust protected property. Nearby also the Geopark Marble Arch caves, well worth a visit: www.marblearchcavesgeopark.com

Alternatively you could drive to Drumshanbo and visit the old Arigna mine, now a popular visitor atraction. www.arignaminingexperience.ie

5. Re: Looking for things to see in Ireland during our week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:20