We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intinerary help please

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Intinerary help please

I will be traveling to Ireland October 21-November 9, 2012. I almost have the full itinerary ready to view but need suggestions for one of the days.

I have an extra day to fill before or after I return my rental to Shannon AP and head to Dublin. The question is what to to and where to spend that day.

I will be coming from either Kenmare or Killarney. At this point I will still have the rental and can go pretty much where I want between those towns and Shannon (I don't want to go too far off track). If my itinerary stays roughly the same I will have alread been to Dingle.

Or

The other option is to drop the car off a day earlier than planned and stop somewhere on the bus route between Limerick and Dublin, then pick the bus back up the next day. The question would be where? At this point I would have to rely on public transportation, taxis or my own feet.

Other than Dublin most of my trip is in the west from Connemara to Beara.

Hope this makes sense to you all. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks, Karen

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intinerary help please

so sorry but this is kind of confusing...let's see if i have this right...you will be coming to shannon from killarney/kenmare?....why are you dropping your car in shannon and heading to dublin (bus?) instead of just dropping the car off at dublin airport?....

it would be easier to suggest a place to go if we knew where you had been for the other 17-18 days, so we don't have you go somewhere you've been already....

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intinerary help please

I plan on renting the car from Shannon AP and so want to return it to Shannon. Since it seems significantly more expensive to pick up at one place and drop it off at another.

If my itinerary stays pretty much like I have it so far I will have been to, Connemara, Inismor, Galway, The Burren, CoM, Dingle, Beara and the RoK.

After dropping off the car I will be heading to Dublin for 5 nights. From there I plan on tours to Newgrange and Glendalough.

I will be traveling solo so want at least some time when I can relax and see the scenery without having to worry about driving.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intinerary help please

Hi Karen, Will you have been to Bunratty? Why not just drive there from Kenmare & spend the night, take in a show? Then return the car to Shannon & catch the buses to Dublin.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intinerary help please

I had thought about that but was unsure of the quality of the show. I am not much into touristy type places. Is it someplace that a native would go? I will check into it some more thanks.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intinerary help please

oh i didn't realize that there was a big price difference dropping off at another airport...we must have gotten lucky, we got our car for only $37 more arriving dublin departing shannon versus dublin/dublin....

6. Re: Intinerary help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 10:33