We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

I am visiting Ireland in March of 2012 and I was wondering if there was anywhere that I would be able to get a couple of phrases translated from English into Irish Gaelic. Or if anyone on here can do it I would be happy to post the phrases.

Ronkonkoma, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

how do you translate english to Irish gaelic the word

"unforgettable"

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

Dodhearmadta, pronounced (approximately) duh-yar-mod -a

Ronkonkoma, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it !

I have one more English to Irish Gaelic translation .....

"forever in my heart"

I'm having a plaque made and don't want to make a mistake.

thanks so much!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's "I gcónaí i mo chroí" - note the "fadas" or accents over some of the vowels. It's pronounced "ih goan-ee ih muh khur-ee"

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

An alternative version

Im chroi go deo

There should be an accent (fada) over the i in chroi (the iPhone does let me do them)

I gconai in Domhnall's translation approximates to the English word constantly; go deo approximates eternity

Edited: 19 April 2012, 22:53
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

An alternative version

Im chroi go deo

There should be an accent (fada) over the i in chroi (the iPhone does let me do them)

I gconai in Domhnall's translation approximates to the English word constantly; go deo approximates eternity

Edited: 19 April 2012, 22:53
Zagreb, Croatia
1 post
Save Reply
37. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

Hi,

I'd like to get a tattoo on your language but I need a real translation of the sentence and I was hoping someone here could help me. The sentence is ''One day you may kiss a man you can't breathe without and find that breathe is of little consequence''.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

I have quite good Irish but I would find it difficult to translate that sentence into Irish as it does not make much sense to me in English. As this is a travel forum, I think that you might get better help at a dedicated translation forum.

Try www.irishgaelictranslator.com. I would advise against using translate.google for this purpose, as the quality of translation will be poor

I hope that you have a large area of skin available for such a large tattoo

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

I have quite good Irish but I would find it difficult to translate that sentence into Irish as it does not make much sense to me in English. As this is a travel forum, I think that you might get better help at a dedicated translation forum.

Try www.irishgaelictranslator.com. I would advise against using translate.google for this purpose, as the quality of translation will be poor

I hope that you have a large area of skin available for such a large tattoo

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: English to Irish Gaelic Translation.

For Soonas,

Re the iPhone, to get fadas, accents etc, you hold down the letter in question and options appear above it. Slide over them to choose. Sin é!

( any chance you'd translate that to Oirishism s'il vous plait.... snigger snigger)...

B