We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
66 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong... but I've got to think I should be able to make a 3 hour journey after touching down in Ireland. Am I wrong?

Our Delta flight lands in Dublin at 10:30am after coming direct from Atlanta at 9:30pm Eastern Time. (The time zone where we live)

I normally can sleep pretty well on a plane and if I did the math correctly, it looks like my body will think it's 5:30am when we land in Dublin. I'm an early riser, especially when traveling so it would seem to fit me pretty well.

If we get our bags and car, and are on the road by 12:30pm or 1:00pm at the latest, shouldn't we be able to drive from Dublin to Doolin, Ireland in time for a dinner before going to bed for the night?

I certainly don't want to do anything dangerous. But I do think that getting from west to the east coast on our first day really gives us a leg up for the rest of the trip.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Technically it is doable, it all depends on how jet lag affects YOU. You also need to factor in driving on the left -hand side of the road...

Would you consider flying into Shannon?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Jet lag affects pepole differently. Personally, I wouldn't drive for three hours after such a flight. Factors to consider are; the last part of the journey to Doolin is along smaller rural roads; and if this is your first experience driving on "the wrong side", your need to concentrate will be high

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Only you can make the call as to how much you will be affected by jet lag. Also take account of the fact that you will be driving on the "wrong" side of unfamiliar roads - though the greater part of the Dublin - Doolin journey is on motorway and is easy to drive - if you don't fall asleep! Journey time is about 3.5 hours, so yes, you could get there in time for dinner if you left Dublin Airport about 12.30/1.00pm - you would even have time to break the journey and rest awhile if you felt sleepy on the way.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
66 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Thanks! I guess I really don't know how it will affect me. Do you have a suggestion on a place to stop between the two places that would still let me try for an Aran Islands Ferry out of doolin that morning? I realize it's a gamble, but in order to stick with the rest of the schedule I need to try my Island Ferry trip out of Doolin. If not, I can always relax at Cliffs for the morning.

And as for Shannon, my flights are already booked to Dublin. Thanks though!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
66 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Domhnall- That may be a good idea too. Could always take a break. Obviously I don't want to do anything dangerous. But I also don't want to regret making the push for the west coast and basically waste that arrival day. We are spending out last 3 nights in Dublin so the idea was to get out of town the first day.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,772 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

You have major roads 3/4 way across and then rural roads at the end when you are getting tired. Personally I would split the trip where you come off the M6 between Ballinasloe and Galway depending on your trip over. You could easily leave the last hour of your journey until the following day and loose nothing. Doolin has a reputation for music at night, but you will be ready for bed long before anything starts so not only will you loose little time you will miss nothing going on after your bed time.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,772 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Ballinasloe, Portumna, Loughrea, Clarinbridge or Oranmore would be possible locations for an overnight.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,332 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Studies show that sleep deprivation is as dangerous as alcohol when driving. The Canadian Road safety authority did a very interesting study a few years ago but there are others.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

We drove three hours after landing when we were over four years ago and swore never to do that again. My husband is up and at the gym by 4:45 every morning (waiting for the doors to open at 5am), so he is used to being up early. (Our flight out of Kennedy was earlier than your Atlanta flight so we landed a couple of hours earlier than you will be, but the idea is much the same.)

Driving on the opposite side of the road (and perhaps having to get used to a standard, in case you do not drive one regularly), takes a bit of concentration. My husband found himself falling asleep, so we pulled off and sought caffeine.

Having said all of the above, you may not have this trouble since you say you can sleep easily on the plane.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
66 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet-Lag Question Am I crazy? Possible to drive 3 hours?

Thanks for the help, that's exactly what I was looking for. Don't want to make any mistake!