We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

145,000 KM on clock that is 90,000 miles, in a 2008 car, 4 years old.

charged me 4 days rental for three

kept me waiting 20 minutes to be collected

each person, except one, was curt or short

never again.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,401 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

No excuse for bad manners but the rest? Car hire is per 24 hours so 24 1/2 hours counts as 2 days? 20 minutes to be collected from where, they collect and drop at hotels in Dublin and you know what the traffic's like there let alone Dublin Airport. I have seen 07 (4 yr old) hire cars on the road this last week from other companies, possibly automatics, possibly kept on to meet the US obsession. 90k on a hire car is less per year than I do out here in the country and 60k less than on my current 100% reliable runabout.

Sorry for your experience but believe me there are Horror stories about car hire to be found on these forums.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,123 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

"each person, except one, was curt or short "

Surely there are some kind of EU employment laws about hiring people based on height. What do you expect Dooley to do? :)

I've noted lots of older cars from rental companies on both sides of the pond in recent years. With all the economic downturns it seems the car companies don't have incentive to go out buying new fleets of vehicles every year like they used to.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

Do you work for them? Why defend or neutralize a simple post?

The fact is I expect a car to have less than 145K KM or 90K miles, and expect a fair and reasonable service. This was exceptional. I called and emailed them to offer them a chance to resolve. They said no, so I am letting the public know. Simple enough.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,123 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

"Do you work for them?"

Not me. Rented from them probably 7-8 times now over the years, never had a problem with them at all.

So...how was the rest of your trip to Ireland? Where did you go? What did you see?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,401 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

Wouldn't make a bit of difference which company you had used. This is Ireland and car hire is a lottery. If you had wanted a 2010/11 car you should have hired from Avis and paid the extra for specifying the age of the vehicle! A rental car can do in excess of 1000 miles a week so a 2yr old car might easily have 90k on the clock.

What exactly do you want them to resolve?

Did the car let you down? Did it rattle? Did it stink of cigarettes and McDonalds? Did the hire company hit you with an extra 50% charge at the collection desk? Has your card been stung with a €1100 damage charge when you got home?

I repeat that I am sorry for the attitude of their and every other Irish rentals customer service but if you were not happy with the car you should have asked them to change it.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
768 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

The car had 90,000 miles----so was there something WRONG with the car?? I rented from Dooley May 2011. Couldn't tell you how many miles were on the car, but I had NO trouble with it. Rental went smoothly, I was charged for the time I used the car, and everyone I dealt with was friendly and accomodating. Bad manners in a service industry is not acceptable. Unfortunately, some people have bad days or react poorly customer complaints. Sorry about that. By the way I also DO NOT work for Dooley and, like IrishFan, would be interested in hearing more about your trip!

Maine
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

we have rented from dooley onour last 2 trips to Ireland. Booked in advance( got a great discouont for being repeat customers) paid 14 days in advance for everything. Check in was quick and simple as all costs and rental questions had already been settled. Everyone was friendly and helpful. No problems at all with the car or anything else.

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

just got back a week ago and rented from dan dooley. (nope don't work for them - why does EVERYONE go to that when you try to give YOUR opinion - if you don't want different opinions do not post in the forum section - post in the review section, but perhaps you didn't know that seeing as it was your first post)

had no problems at all renting, everyone was very polite (even went so far as to get us a better car the next day)

don't see how 145thou km is a big deal. i don't know why everyone automatically expects a brand spanking new car. we drove over 1000km in 8 days and i think hubby said it was closer to 2000km so 145thou km can add up quickly. plus even if the car was a few years old as long as it was maintained well who cares. (plus a 2008 car is 3years old not 4)

if the shuttle driver has to shuttle BETWEEN the airport and the rental company 20mins would seem the norm.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 13:28
9. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 September 2012, 09:35
10. Re: Dan Dooley Car Rental - Bad Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2012, 14:03