We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healy pass and ROK

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Healy pass and ROK

Hi,

My sister and I will be starting in Dublin couple days and then renting car 3rd day and heading to Glendalough then on to Cashel to sleep. In morn see Rock of Cashel drive s to Blareny see that and then on to .....was orig thinking Bantry to sleep, but possibly Glengariff. Here's where I'm stuck now. Can we drive from Glengariff taking R572-R574-R571 loop driving through Healy Pass up to coast and along coast to Kenmare and then have a decent amount of time to drive ROK ending in Kenmare? I'd like to drive Skellig ring if possible. I've read it takes 4hrs to do ROK with stops....don't know if that includes Skellig detour.

Next day we want to leave from Kenmare drive n through Kilarney Ntl Park on way to Dingle, so we'll be retracing ourselves a bit.

I was planning on going clockwise.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,593 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healy pass and ROK

You don't have enough time to do the Ring of Beara and the Ring of Kerry in one day. Either will take a full day.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healy pass and ROK

I think you need much more then 4 hours for the Ring of Kerry - if you want to make frequent stops, a day isn't really enough in my opinion, though it can be done. Beara is smaller but again worth a day, otherwise you will just see it through the car windscreen. If you are headed for Dingle later , I`d forget the RoK, concentrate on Beara and the Dingle peninsula with a visit to the Killarney National Park en route.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Healy pass and ROK

I read that the loop that includes Healy Pass is 42km...maybe that is just referring to stretch from Adrigole to Lauraugh? hmm. Because we weren't planning on driving the 'Ring of Beara' just wanted to take route via Healy Pass into Kenmare.

I went on a trip to Ireland in 2005 and we drove from Kinsale To Bantry along coast. We ended up discovering a cottage/giftshop owned by an artist. We had originally planned then to drive Beara Peninsula and she encouraged us strongly several times not to miss Healy pass and so we took that route instead into Kenmare.

I'm going to re-ck maps/routes and see if what you both are referring to is a longer coast-line route or the same that I am referring to if so, then for sure I will allow more time. We don't want to be rushed and not be able to absorb the sights and really enjoy. Thank you for your input!! The advice on here on trip-advisor has been invaluable in helping me hammer out the details!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healy pass and ROK

You cannot effectively do the Ring of Kerry and include the Healy Pass. It is slow tiring driving.

The Skelling Ring is very slow going, as you will frequently have to pull over and indeed reverse to allow other cars to pass.

The south western peninsulas are beautiful but they take time ....... Lots of time

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Healy pass and ROK

Thank you for clarifying Soonas. I was worried that would be too much.

Again, thanks to all for the feedback!

6. Re: Healy pass and ROK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 16:18