We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing

Tulsa, Oklahoma
14 posts
Save Topic
Packing

We leave for Ireland in 14 days! We will have to pack early because we are leaving the day after we get married. I would like some packing advice since this is our first trip to Ireland. Most of the weather and travel sites say the temp in early October is 50-60. Should we pack a light coat or will a heavier coat be better? Is rain gear needed? Any must haves while traveling? We will be in Dublin for a few days then in Killarney for 5 days. We will be traveling by train. Thanks for any advice.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing

Think layers. perhaps a long sleeve shirt, and a sweater and then a jacket or a hoodie over that. It can be windy the closer you get to the coast

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing

Ellen is right, layers are the best! Be prepared for rain and lots of it.

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php… if you have internet access keep an eye on this page go to the last post on this tread for an accurate daily update of the coming days this guy is a genuis and always gets it right. All the best with your wedding and I hope you have a lovely time over here!

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing

Lots of rain gear,particularly as you will be in the West of Ireland.The mornings can be a little cool but by lunch time the nip is gone.

Have a great wedding !

Cork
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing

I agree think light Layers! And definitely be prepared for the high possibility of rain :)

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing

Previous poster recommended "8 tops and 4 prs pants";plus fleece/rain jacket. Casual dress is acceptable at most resturants-but 1 dressy top for that romantic evenng!. There is a vast array of beautiful sweaters to purchase if the weather is cooler than expected. Most important is to bring comfortable walking shoes. Don't worry about the rain, as we are to be there at the same time and no precipitation will occur then!! Bring a few disposable facecloths as some hotels do not provide these.

Have a beautiful wedding day and a memorable honeymoon in Ireland.

Edited: 19 September 2011, 13:14
Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing

I hope you have a wonderful wedding and a great honeymoon in Ireland! When we were in Killarney in June, -- yes, I said June-- we hit a cold rainy day in Killarney--- so I bought a warm zippered wool cardigan to add to my layers...And it was perfect.

Look in Target or someplace like it for a travel rain coat in a pouch... and keep it with you :) in Killarney as you hit the pubs, and Ross Castle.

Also try Mac's of Main Street for a good meal, good atmosphere and good prices. I reviewed it here on TA

Ellen

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing

we just got back yesterday.

grabbed myself a 'raincoat' before leaving. really just a light rain jacket with a hood. wore it everyday. not all day as the weather really is 3-4 seasons in one day :)

forget an umbrella useless - brought one, never used it.

it does rain most everyday, but sometimes it literally stops before you can even get your hood on :)

i generally wore a t-shirt, my hoodie and the jacket on top and jeans or trackpants - lots of driving - and runners on the bottom.

congrats!!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing

LOL in our 3 trips to Ireland, we only had one bad rainy day in Killarney, and a light misty morning in Dingle, but I always had my poncho in my bag

So we did't see rain every day-- mostly sun and some clouds

Ellen

Tulsa, Oklahoma
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing

Thank you everyone for the great advice! I am happy I leave my winter coat at home and just bring a rain coat.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing

okay, leave your heavy winter coat at home, but be sure to bring a hooded fleecy--- it can get cold on the plane on the long flight -- hard to sleep if you're shivering :)

and you'll be glad to have it once you land