We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones- one more question

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phones- one more question

I have an iPhone with ATT and want to know if it will work in Ireland? I don't plan on using it to call the states much but for mainly for calling with in Ireland to confirm reservations, get more specific directions or change reservations if needed. Texting too.

What about the 3G feature for the internet? And Wi-Fi?

My contract is up in March and while I will probably stick with an iPhone I will then have the option of sticking with ATT or changing to Verizon.

Karen

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

There are two issues.

Will the phone work technically. Yes, ATT is a GSM service and the iPhone operates on different frequencies.

Can you afford to use it on your plan? You'll have to check the charges, but do check these, it won't be cheap.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 22:20
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

kajo, i can tell you that your iphone will work in ireland but as gaelflyer said it won't be cheap...in fact i had mine with me in 2008 and i was shocked when i got to dublin...i turned on my phone just to see if i had a signal and boy did i....in fact my phone rang 17 times while i was there...being in the bail bond business i knew it was folks wanting me to get them out of jail and i was scared it would cost a zillion dollars to just answer and tell them i was out of the country....

so this year i was going to see about using mine but the cost wasn't affordable, can't remember what the per minute charge was but the roaming was $2.95 per minute....

friends took me to tesco and i bought a phone for 20 euros, plus 20 euros worth of time....you could call the u.s. for 2 cents a minute and we used it for b&b late arrival, directions, calling friends in ireland and we didn't run out of minutes....

hope that helps.....

Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

Just contact ATT and ask them to add a europe package. I have done this in the past and have also used it in Canada that way. I just cancel the non-US package when I get home. I think this is the easiest and less stressful way, plus you can check on things at home as you see fit or get calls from home as they see fit. These are important things and the $25+ dollars won't mean a thing in a case of emergency.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

Thanks everyone. I will look into your suggestions.

Beautiful Southern...
Level Contributor
93 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

We're Verizon users, so we just ordered a travel phone online to "rent" and return. Cost was $24.99. Ireland to Ireland or US calls will be $1.29/min so will just use in emergency or to be in touch with B&B. Texts are 50c to send but only 5c to receive! Sounded like a deal to me!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

I've been looking into this also. I have a verizon service iPhone. When I get there I'm going to put it on airplane mode so that I don't pick up tower signals. That turns off the data signal as well as wifi. However you can turn wifi back on manually and use skype which is much cheaper. Course you need a wifi signal so it won't be that convenient but wifi is widely available. I've been keeping in touch with my daughter who has been crisscrossing Europe for the past two months this way with zero additional cost.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 17:07
Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

To follow up on MM's comment about the Europe package. We have added that to our ATT iPhones when traveling outside the US. Data costs approximately $1/MB. The 50 MB plan is $50 and you need to watch that you do not go over as additional MBs are charged at $4.95, I believe. (You can go in to settings to reset usage to zero before landing. This make tracking usage easy.)

Even if you add the Europe package, you may want to do what Rono suggests as it 50MB goes really quickly when downloading graphic-laden emails. ATT also allowed us to add a 100 text package for $10. I don't text much at home but do when traveling as texts get through more easily.

When returning home and canceling Europe plan, make sure you wait until the 30th day or you can be pro-rated and charged for roaming. We got caught up in this once. A call to ATT reversed the charges but I recall there being some trick to when you cancelled the coverage.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

Noreen I don' t see a Europe package listed as an option.

Here is what I found:

International roaming: $6/ month brings the per minute charge down from $1.39/min to $.99/min. Since I am not planning on calling much that's not too bad.

Global Messaging - packages start at $10/month for 50 texts- that should cover my needs

International Data plans- packages start at $25/month for 50MB not sure how many emails an such this would cover but it should cover my needs when I am not in Wi-Fi range.

Karen

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

Hi Karen---I believe the correct term is international, not Europe as I used. The reason I said Europe was that we added this plan in Costa Rica in August and England & Ireland in April of this year and the rates were very different in each place. The per MB charge was much higher in Ireland & England than in Costa Rica. ATT calls it international but charges different rates by country or area.

It appears that ATT may also charge different rates to different customers, perhaps based on the plan we have on our phones? Am just guessing here as I know we paid $50 for the 50MB and $10 for 100 texts. I believe the phone calls were 99 cents each but we also didn't focus on the phone rate. My husband initially purchased a 100 MB plan for his phone for $100 and then had to add another 100MB halfway through the trip. It was quite challenging to reach ATT from Dublin in order to add more MB.

If you set the phone to airplane mode, I believe that will keep you from accidentally picking up email messages. I was amazed at how quickly I used MB with incoming emails that contain graphics. While in Mexico last year, I burned through 27 MB in one day before I caught onto the airplane setting. Since then, I have unsubscribed to the endless Pottery Barn type of emails. Regular email messages that contain text only do not use that much capacity, but still worth resetting usage tracking to zero so that you can keep an eye on utilization. Happy travels!

10. Re: Cell Phones- one more question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 07:17