We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Looking for some interesting places that I shouldn't miss in Ireland. I will be travelling there in March of 2012 for a month or so. I'm really interested in of course, some touristy places, and anything historic. I want to see some cliffs as well, how are the Cliffs of Moher?? Open to anything scienic, historic and interesting. I am also a photographer so something scenic with a beautiful view is important! Thank you.

Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Hi

The cliffs of mohr are a must!!! Absolutely beautiful!! Went to all the touristy place. I kissed the blarney stone, went to the guiness factory, jameson factory. It sounds cheesy but you have to see them!!!! If you get a chance just drive around the coasts and the ring of Kerry as beautiful as they say there are. Then just spend some days and nights just walking about to really get a feel for Ireland wonderful friendly people. And shopping is always fun!!! Also I highly recommend visiting the city of Galway it's my favorite place!!! So gorgeous!!! This is the place husband and I want to live one day!!

Cork
Level Contributor
145 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Some Suggestions: Google any of these and you will get plently of info

1) Dingle, Slea Head Drive, Blasket Ferry, Skellig Michael

2) Doolin, Cliffs of Moher

3) Galway, Aliwee Caves, Burren

4) Dublin, Trinity College, Book of Kells, Guinness Storehouse

5) Wicklow, Glendalough, Sally Gap

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Hello Go to www.discoverireland.ie and www.heritageireland.ie for great ideas on planning your Irish vacation. Also, that website mentioned in response to your Scottish vacation question is also very good in helping you plan that part. Since you have about 6 months before your trip you will have plenty of time to do detailed research. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Dublin
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Heritage Ireland is a great site, if you have a car and want some great photographs and a bit of adventure you could try photographing ruins. It takes you off the beaten track a bit as some of the ruins don't get too many visitors. Though be careful, some of them are on private property.

http://www.irelandnow.com/ruins_g.html

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Slieve League cliffs in Donegal, IMHO, are the most beautiful cliffs in Ireland - 2 hours from Sligo, about 4 - 4 1/2 hours from Galway or Dublin. Best of all there is no charge to visit!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,854 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

If you want to see some great cliffs without having to pay 6 euros per person and without having to contend with lots of tourists (i.e. Cliffs of Moher), then go see the cliffs in Kilkee. Parking is plentiful and free and the only people we saw on the trail along the cliffs in mid-May were 3 moms wheeling their babies in their strollers for some fresh air.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions I will definitely check out all the sites!! This is really helpful

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,167 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

The scruffy looking pub where no tourist would think of entering, The road you cant find on any tour guides map. The St Patrick's day parade in the countryside where the local villages all come together. With a month to spend consider a week in each province and apart from St Pat's week wing it.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,562 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

If you are coming in March, Blasket ferry is not an option.Likewise the skelligs. The Cliffs of Moher on a wild windy day in March most def not a must see!!Days will be shorter and roads may well be icy or even snowy (and untreated)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for places to visit in Ireland??

I'd second the advice to go to Slieve League. It's a bit of a long drive from somewhere like Galway, so I was hesitant to go there, seeing as how I didn't have much time in Ireland. I am very glad that I did, though. It's very different from the Cliffs of Moher, but much less "touristy". Great place to just walk around and admire the natural beauty of Ireland.

Also, get the Ordnance Survey Ireland road atlas. It shows a lot of points of interest and spots with good views. If you don't have the OSI atlas, you'll drive by many beautiful and interesting places without even knowing what you missed!