We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

I am planning a trip to Ireland in september. Will arrive in Dublin and spend a couple of days there, and then head down to Cork on a daytrip (by train). I was just curious if this is a good start for someone who has not been to Ireland before?

Notice that this is not my first and last trip to Ireland, as I am planning a second trip to Ireland. Hopefully next summer. Where I am going to Galway and the west coast. But I thought it was better saving that part of Ireland for a second trip.

So a couple of days in Dublin and one day in Cork may be a good start, right? Or is it better if I make another daytrip? I am still staying a couple of days in Dublin, but a daytrip is still flexible. If I go to Cork, I am planning to travel by train. But nothing is booked yet.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,562 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

A daytrip by train will take a good chunk of time. Consider overnighting in Cork or else do shorter day trips from Dublin.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

Really? Sure, it takes a couple of hours. But when I checked trains, I can go up early which I don't mind and then arrive in Cork 09:50 in the morning. Last train from Cork to Dublin leaves at 20:30, so I would have plenty of time in Cork, even if that would be a long day.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

Unless there is something particular that is attracting you to Cork, I wouldn't see any point in taking a day trip from one large city to another.

Would you consider going someplace like Kilkenny, which would be quite different from Dublin but would have plenty to ocuppy a day for you.

I guess it really depends on what your interests are, but have a look anyway.

www.kilkennytourism.ie/

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

There are lots of great places to go on day trips from Dublin , but to be perfectly honest I wouldnt include Cork - its a great city, worth much more then a day, and in the short time available via public transport you would be pretty well confined to the City and wouldnt get the chance to see some of the surrounding areas. Either overnight in Cork City, or if you are determined to stick to day trips from Dublin, consider Newgrange, Kilkenny,Glendalough

Howth, Malahide. To some extent it does depend on your particular interests and what you hope to see and experience, but for me, there wouldnt be enough contrast between Dublin and Cork - both cities, both busy,admittedly both full of interesting things to see and do..I`m not saying you wouldnt enjoy a day in Cork, just that I`m not sure the journey time id worth it for such a short visit.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

As you asked for interests etc. Well, my biggest interest is nature and outdoor activities. I have no driving licence though, and I don't think those guided bus tours are my cup of tea. As I have seen bus tours to Wicklow and other places pretty near Dublin. Have done similar bus trips in the past, and I did not enjoy it at all. So I thought that I would take a walk in a park and visit the zoo. It may be enough this time.

I also like artitechture and historical places, like ruins. When visiting a new city, I usually like visiting a couple of museums and main attractions as well. So I am pretty openminded.

Cork
Level Contributor
145 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

Some ideas for Cork:

http://www.corkcitygaol.com/

http://www.corkcitytour.com/

(Good idea to use this tour to get to the City Gaol)

7. Re: Dublin and Cork a good choice for a first trip to Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 20:16