We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Camping Sites in Ireland

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find some nice camp sites in Ireland. I have looked online in all the usual places (http://www.camping-ireland.ie/ etc etc) but am looking for more camping places rather than caravan parks and most searches on the internet come up with large caravan parks.

Any suggestions for nice tent camping sites?

Particularly looking for nice places in Donegall and Kerry.

Thanks!

Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

My absolute favourite is The Meadow in Glandore, Co Cork. 90% camping and a short walk into the beautiful village. Eagle Point in Ballylickey near Bantry Co Cork is bigger and has a mixture but is still not huge and has a private beach. Sorry I am not so familiar with those in Kerry - it has been quite a while since I camped there and Donegal I only camped in once a long time ago. In Bennetsbridge in Kilkenny the Nore Valley is good though it is a while since I was there. The Apple in Cahir Co Tipperary is another favourite (there is an adjoining orchard and you can buy their juice etc. Have a look at the Alan Rogers website www.alanrogers.com

There are very very few sites which are solely for camping. Have fun and keep dry.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

Two I would recommend, though not in your preferred area, are Nore Valley Park, Kilkenny (it is beside a children's farm) and the Apple Farm in Co. Tipperary.

Oh - I just noticed the previous poster already mentioned those. So that's a double recommendation. I am very interested in the Meadow. I might give that one a try.

Edited: 22 June 2011, 16:21
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

Some other candidates for the title:

independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/10-cool…

independent.ie/travel/inside-ireland/10-best…

Dublin
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

The problem with the Irish Independent quoted reviews is that the reviewer never actually camped in the sites to check them out.

So check other Trip Advisor reviews of the campsites to see if they suit you.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely check them out.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

Hey there

Not sure if you've already went on your trip or not but I love Wavecrest near Caherdaniel in Kerry, really picturesque.

Also here is a camping website worth checking out, I found it really helpful for a campervan trip my husband and I went on. It list absolutely all campsites in Ireland - not just the affiliated sites.

http://totalcampingireland.ie/

Enjoy

cork
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

Two camping sites stand out for me as being my perfect places to stay. The first is in Kerry just outside Kenmare on the way to the Beara peninsula. http://www.creveenlodge.com/Site/Welcome.html It's built into the side of a hill, is small and quaint. Basic yes but so pretty. The pitches are in nooks and crannys and best thing, it's for tourers only, thank god. A great place if you're into hiking.

The second is in Co.Cork. http://www.yurt-holidays-ireland.com/ This place is a world of it's own. If it's peace and tranquilty you want you won't beat this place and not a caravan or camper in sight. !

Macroom, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

There is a good spot in kerry about 8km outside kenmare on the ring of beara. you can find there website here www.bearacamping.com. We found it a great place because unlike other campsites we were at, you get a sense of privacy. Mobile homes aren't lined up like you see in other caravan parks. the Beara peninsula is good for hiking as well. roads are quite and scenery is amazing. much less touristy then ring of kerry

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

My husband & I are planning to tour Kerry in August with our caravan, we're looking for the equivalent of the British 5 van site - just a pitch with water available, maybe electricity but not essential, and somewhere to empty the chemical toilet. Do these small sites exist in Ireland?

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Camping Sites in Ireland

i guess you are members of the caravan club,there are no cl s in southern ireland.we have just returned last week .it was our 5th time there on holiday.it is a magical place.our two favourite sites are mannix point at cahirciveen on the ring of kerry & eagle point caravan park at ballylickey just outside bantry west cork.they are both sites are beside the water with breath taking views.

hope this is of help,enjoy i m sure you will