We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fexco Horizon Card

indiana
Level Contributor
143 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Fexco Horizon Card

Anyone used this card for VAT refunds? Experiences??

Thanks

90 replies to this topic
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

Yes - was given one in Dingle at NU Goldsmith, and the tax refund appeared on our bank statement within a week or so of our return.

Shame not more retail outlets use this system. I ended up going to 3 separate desks at Shannon to complete various different forms!

Good thing is, once you've registered, you can use it again on your next visit to Ireland.

Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

Hello,

Could you please tell me--what is a Fexco Horizon card? Going to Ireland in September. Is it a discount card of some sort? Thanks!

indiana
Level Contributor
143 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

Its a card that merchants swipe at time of purchase and records the VAT you pay on items purchased. You then present the card at the Fexco counter at the airport and the VAT is then refunded to you.

indiana
Level Contributor
143 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

We also are going in September. We are a group of 6 and bought the Heritage Island Touring Guide for Euro 6.99. Order online and got it within 3 days. We felt that this was a good deal for the sights we intend to visit. You get 2-4-1 at a lot of places. We intend to visit Blarney Castle and just using this one location Saves more than what the guide costs.

If you are going to visit the Shannon region, you can print out a Shanon Discount Card, its free. Just search Shannon Region Discount Card.

5. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 17:06

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

A loser! We carefully saved our receipts, turned them in at Dublin Airport on our way out, along with filling in all of the information, etc. Ten days after returning home, I received an email saying that I had to fill out ANOTHER form attesting that we had actually taken the items from Ireland, have this form CERTIFIED by any of the following: "A law enforcement officer; A notary public, or; A Commissioner for Oaths" then mail the g*d#$n thing back to Ireland, all to be deemed worthy of receiving approximately 10 Euros of VAT refund. Mind you, this was after saving the receipts and filling out a lengthy and fairly intrusive form, left at the airport after clearing security.

All for the privilege of packing perhaps $100 worth of trinkets into already overloaded suitcases along with the other indignities of modern travel. We had a wonderful trip to Ireland, but this left a really bad taste in our mouths!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
770 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

Sorry to hear of your problem! Like Sarnia, everything went very smoothly for us and the refund was received very quickly.

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

Do you have to get the Fexco card from a merchant? Is there a way to order one online prior to travel?

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

Guess what? I put "fexco horizon card" in Google. This popped up first: https://www.shoptaxfree.com/horizon-card/ Never underestimate the power of searching the Internet for what you need.

Kingston, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Fexco Horizon Card

I used my Horizon Flexco card recently and activated it at the Dublin airport before my flight out. The merchant charged me a small fee when they issued me the card. Not sure the activation was necessary as my kiosk receipt read" you have already availed of the refund amount shown above at the Point of Sale, as these good were purchaded at the Tax Free price" Is there an annual fee for this card? As I am not planning to return anytime in the near future, how do I now cancel the card from the system?

Reply to: Fexco Horizon Card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted